C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy Muncie

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2001, 01:18 AM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Noisy Muncie

I notice that my M-20 4 spd seems to be making a noise while in neutral at idle. Sounds like a mechanical noise but not real,real loud, just enough to notice.Not so much a tapping sound as a loose rattle, although that may not be the best description as it's hard to tell over the exhaust. It has fluid and shifts fine. I had the tranny rebuilt and I'm wondering if that might be the cause?

Is this a natural thing with these trannys? :flag :chevy

Merry Christmas, Mark
Old 12-25-2001, 02:41 AM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Location: WANTED: '68 rear valance with b/u light assemblies IM, e-mail, or PM me here. Thanks!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Noisy Muncie (marky mark)

Are you sure the clutch is fully disengaging and/or it isn’t the throw-out bearing you are hearing?
Old 12-25-2001, 03:07 AM
Bob Jenkins
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you also re-install the return springs in the right locations? Sometimes you can get vibrations in the linkage at idle. It could also be the throw-out bearing making noise. Did you replace it when you rebuilt the transmission? My car's throw-out bearing started making noise after the car sat for several months. Oneday the noise just stopped... :confused:
Old 12-25-2001, 08:30 AM
454Big
Burning Brakes

Check linkage for loose parts.
I had the problem when the shift rods directly at the tranny were loose.
Also check if the problem occurs in cold and warm condition.
Old 12-25-2001, 03:13 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Noisy Muncie (454Big)

It could be the throw-out bearing I suppose, but that was new also. It actually sounds as though it's coming from the transmission case itself. I was and should have sent it off to "4-Speeds by Darryl" but I didn't. DOHHHH !!!

Merry Christmas,

Mark :flag :chevy
Old 12-25-2001, 04:52 PM
69classchass
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,
When your hearing the noise , De-press the cluch, and see if the noise doesnt change or stop, Shift the gears, then back to neutral and see if the noise doesnt change. If the noise persists through these checks, Get under there with some kind of stethoscope and see if you cant isolate the noise.
I had a thump thump kind of noise starting up cold at idle. It went away when I changed to sidepipes :D..
seriously it was just the flywheel whirling, I wasnt bothered because it only did it cold, for a minute ,so I disregarded the flywheel being out of balance
TC
Old 12-25-2001, 11:35 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Noisy Muncie (69classchass)

Allright, I'll try that and see if I notice a difference. Thanks. Mark :flag :chevy
Old 12-26-2001, 02:11 AM
john73bb
Racer

Mine had done this for as long as I have owned the car. I replaced the clutch and throwout bearing not too long ago, and it didn't change a thing. Most days I don't hear it at all, and then once in a while it comes back. I also presume it is something inside the tranny -- I rebuilt mine also. If you find out what it is, please let me know too! :)
Old 12-28-2001, 05:00 AM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Noisy Muncie (john73bb)

Will do John73BB. I've got to take it by the guy who did the rebuild as the rear seal is already leaking. I'll have him listen to it and get his opinion. It may be nothing, but I can't imagine GM would design/build a tranny that made noise.

Regards, Mark

Get notified of new replies

To Noisy Muncie

Quick Reply: Noisy Muncie