C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIN Radio Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2001, 11:11 PM
jbegler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DIN Radio Question

I received a pretty nice JVC (KD-S670) unit for Christmas. How hard is it to cut the opening and install a modern DIN sized radio? It is going in a '74.

I also received a set of Jensen 6" speakers. Where would be a good place to put these? It currently has a set of pioneer 6x9s in the rear, which I haven't decided if I want to keep or not. Would these fit in the front kick panels?

Any advice or comments are appreciated

I just want a nice sounding system, so I don't think I need any amps or subs or anything else. I just figure with the radio and some decent quality front/rear speakers It will sound good and cost very little.

Thanks for all the help
Old 12-24-2001, 11:27 PM
Dave84/76
Racer

Default Re: DIN Radio Question (jbegler)

The metal dash is a pain to cut but it can be done. You should get a dash kit to finish out the job. If you can,t find one at your local car audio shop, I sell them and could ship you one. There is no good place to put the 6" speakers. If you can, take them back and exchange them for some 4X6" and install them in the kick panels.

[Modified by Dave84/76, 10:27 PM 12/24/2001]
Old 12-24-2001, 11:37 PM
jbegler
Racer

Default Re: DIN Radio Question (Dave84/76)

Is it better to install 4x6 speakers in the kick panels or to just upgrade the ones in the dash?

Thanks for the help
Old 12-24-2001, 11:50 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

4x6 are the best for the dash and kick panels. I just got two set of Polk speakers with the rotating tweeter cone for my car. They rock! Now I just need to find a better stereo.

Mark B.
Old 12-25-2001, 10:26 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I installed a DIN radio in my 80. Had to cut the dash, but not that hard although it was plastic not metal. I used a hack saw and my trusty dremel tool and it came out perfect. I removed the old radio, placed masking tape around the opening, placed the new radio up to the opening and traced around it with a pencil. This gave me my rough dimensions to cut. After cuting, I again placed the radio in the rough opening and simply grinded the last bit to make a nice, clean opening. It looks like the radio came with the car. As for the 6" speakers, you would have to build out the kick panel to make them fit. The area behind the kick panel is not deep enough for the 6" speakers. I installed 4" round speakers in my kick panel while installing new Polk Audio 4x6 in the dash. I hope to add a Bazooka tube woofer to the rear. It takes up little space and will add some low frequency. Good luck!

Regards,

Jim
Old 12-25-2001, 10:50 AM
jonvolk
Advanced

Default Re: DIN Radio Question (Jim73)

dear god! cut the radio opening :nono: just my humble opinion but id would install a custom autosound direct fit radio/cd changer contoller. i just cant bring myself to cut up the dash if theres an alternative :seeya
Old 12-25-2001, 11:00 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: DIN Radio Question (jonvolk)

Actually its sometimes cheaper to cut the dash and replace it later if necessary then purchase a Custom Autosound radio and seperate cd changer. I can purchase a new bezel for around $100.00 if I want to restore the dash to original. Installing a Din radio is not for everyone, but its rather common.

Regards,

Jim
Old 12-25-2001, 12:16 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: DIN Radio Question (Jim73)

I agree with Jim. I have a Custom Autosound unit and wish I would have just cut the bezel for less money and better sound. It's not as if there aren't any reproduction bezels around, or used ones for that matter. As for front speaker options, you could also go with a seperate component system. I have Boston Acoustics Pro 4.5 speakers, which have a 4 inch midrange and a 1 inch tweeter and come with the passive crossovers for them, which are adjustable. You can mount these just about anywhere as long as the tweeter is somewhat close to the midrange. The sound is great, although they are kind of expensive. I just don't see 6 inchers fitting up front.

AC
Old 12-25-2001, 01:02 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: DIN Radio Question (A C)

6" fit in the doors, if you cut a hole, and make a bracket, and cover the hole.....
Old 12-25-2001, 01:05 PM
john73bb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DIN Radio Question (jonvolk)

The Custom Autosound alternative is a very poor alternative in my opinion. I used to think this way till I went through two Custom Autosound units. They don't sound very good, you can't see the display in any light, and they are kind of ugly. Cut the bezel (buy a new one to cut if you want, that is what I did), put in the stereo you like, and finish it with a nice bezel. I clamped mine in my milling machine to make the cuts, but I have heard of people drilling multiple holes then cutting it out with a hack saw. If you get it pretty close, the bezel will cover the edges of your cut.

Now, for speakers, Custom Autosound makes a set that go in the back, behind the wheels. I bought them and mounted them with some screws right through the back and they work great. They are still thin enough that you have plenty of room for the tops, but you get sound from back there as well as from the dash. Works great.

John.
Old 12-25-2001, 01:09 PM
Sting Raycin
Drifting

Default Re: DIN Radio Question (Techno)

Does somebody have pics of 5" or 6" in the door?

Get notified of new replies

To DIN Radio Question

Quick Reply: DIN Radio Question