C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out of State Purchase/Sales Tax Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2001, 10:35 PM
JGVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of State Purchase/Sales Tax Issue?

Anyone,
I am a Connecticut resident and recently sent out a bank check for an older Vette to a mid west dealer. (I purchased a car from him but haven't taken delivery) He included taxes in the transaction stating that if I paid him tax CT would not charge taxes.
Since then I have gone to the CT State Web site and found that there is an agreement with Florida, Mass and Rhode Island for resiprosity only. Am I going to have to pay CT State Taxes to get this car registered??
Old 12-24-2001, 10:51 PM
BIGsteve
Instructor

Default Re: Out of State Purchase/Sales Tax Issue? (JGVette)

I don't know the particular laws in your state. I bought a car in Michigan a few years ago, paid the appropriate tax for Michigan (6%) to the dealer and drove it to New York state (8%) with transporter plates. When I went to the MV dept. to register the car, I had to pay the difference in sales tax, which was 2%.
Old 12-24-2001, 10:58 PM
2ND77
Instructor

The answer is no. I am in sales at a car dealership in Waterbury. If you have already paid sales tax, doesnt matter where, you dont have to pay again. Same as if you bought the car while you LIVED out of state and then moved here. As long as it was at least 6% sales tax, you are free and clear. If not, you will have to pay the difference. Hope that answers your question.

Ron
Old 12-24-2001, 11:08 PM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the guy you bought it from a dealer or just an individual?
If he is a dealer, then I think he has to charge tax on the sale. BigSteve would be right in that case and you will only pay the difference.
If he is an individual, I don't see how he can charge you tax unless he has a tax permit (usually only issued by the State to Dealers).

Check it out before hand so you don't get taxed twice, which maybe hard to get back from the individual.

Ask to see a copy of his Tax Permit. Record the issue #

[Modified by Rich's75, 9:09 PM 12/24/2001]
Old 12-24-2001, 11:46 PM
JGVette
Instructor

Default Re: Out of State Purchase/Sales Tax Issue? (Rich's75)

Thanks for the replies. I became nervous due to "item 3" in this link. Hopefully you guys are right but this still scares me a little. http://www.dmvct.org/regtax.htm
Oh, this was bought from a dealer.....

[Modified by JGVette, 3:49 AM 12/25/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Out of State Purchase/Sales Tax Issue?

Quick Reply: Out of State Purchase/Sales Tax Issue?