C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, what is/are 6 link anyway??

Old 12-24-2001, 04:20 PM
'73L-82
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, what is/are 6 link anyway??

Told you I was new to Corvettes.... What is a 6 link?? What is its purpose/benefit?? Thanks-Mike :bs
Old 12-24-2001, 08:17 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: So, what is/are 6 link anyway?? ('73L-82)

Never heard of a 6 link but I've heard of a 4 link.

A 4 link is a chassis setup used to aid traction. Mostly a drag car item.

A fairly decent explanation of how they work can be found at http://www.rpmnet.com/techart/4link.shtml

Hope this helps. Like I said, I haven't heard of a 6 link. Certainly doesn't mean they don't exist as I'm also pretty new to this.

:) Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2001, 09:19 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: So, what is/are 6 link anyway?? ('73L-82)

A six link is a suspension that integrates upper control arms into the 63-79 Corvette independent rear suspension. It purpose is to reduce camber change of the rear wheels to near zero to aid in straight line traction (drag racing) and in autocross/slalom type events. It keeps the tire flat throughout the entire suspension travel, something a stock IRS has trouble doing. The "6 link" is derived from having three links on either side of the suspension (upper arms, half shafts, and lower strut rods).
Old 12-24-2001, 11:19 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: So, what is/are 6 link anyway?? (Stingy74)

What 6 link is referring to is the number of links PER SIDE on the suspension system in the rear. This is a rather odd number of links for a suspension to have.

The production C3 suspension is somewhat of a modified trailing arm setup. The axle halfshaft actually serves as the upper suspension member, therr is a lower camber lnk and then the trailing arm.

The 6 link basically, based on the pics I've seen, no longer uses the halfshaft as a stressed suspension member. It adds a PAIR of upper links above the halfshaft, replaces the lower camber control link with a pair of links and replaces the traling arm with a pair of links as well, resulting in six links per side. A rather unusual setup. :)

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To So, what is/are 6 link anyway??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So, what is/are 6 link anyway??