Interesting about DRL's

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Benpup
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Default Interesting about DRL's

Found this to be an interesting article about the use of DRL's. It appears that may do mor harm than good.

Sun's Up - Lights Off - Thank You!
One of the pervasive urban myths plaguing our highways and byways is the belief that daytime use of headlights reduces motor vehicle accidents. It all started with a Greyhound Bus Company public relations gimmick to promote its "safety image." There was an apparent reduction in bus accidents and the conclusion was made that the daytime headlight use must be the reason. There was a burst of publicity and daytime headlight use was christened as a great highway safety strategy. A subsequent study, slightly more thorough, determined that daytime headlight use on busses had no effect on accident frequency. That study never got much attention.

Think about this; if you can't see a bus during the daytime, because it doesn't have its headlights on, there is a greater problem at play here than "visibility."

Next, there were mandates of daytime headlight use in a few tundra laden Scandinavian countries. Subsequent government sponsored studies proved the government was inspired in its mandating of daytime headlight use. Again, subsequent review of these favorable DRL studies indicated the high probability that factors, other than daytime headlight use, were responsible for any reduction in accident frequency. The same scenario was subsequently repeated in Canada---the government mandates vehicles be equipped with automatic daytime running lights (DRLs) and low and behold government studies find that DRLs may be responsible for saving the human race from roadway annihilation.

Auto manufacturers, never loath to exploit a fad, climbed on the DRL bandwagon and hyped the safety benefits of irritating other drivers by shining headlights in their eyes, during daylight hours. General Motors was most aggressive on this front with their Saturn products winning the award for "most obnoxious cars to meet on the highway. " While seldom admitted, the primary motivation for putting DRLs on American market cars is that it saves money. Rather than building one lighting system for Canada, where DRLs are mandated, and a different system for the US market, GM decided to save a few bucks by just installing the DRL equipped system on both the US and Canadian models.

The first, last and only large scale U.S. study that has been completed and published on the effects of DRLs as safety devices, was conducted by the insurance industry Highway Loss Data Institute. The results; vehicles equipped with DRLs were involved in more accidents than similar vehicles without DRLs. The difference was minimal, but the meaning was straight forward, DRLs aggravate other motorists, obscure directional lights, waste fuel, "mask" other road users that don't have headlights on, or don't have headlights period (pedestrians and bicyclists) and their net effect on accident reduction is zero or worse.

Because DRLs negatively effect other motorists, versus the owner of a DRL equipped vehicle, they should be omitted from all new cars by government mandate. Furthermore, all states should explore legislation that limits daytime headlight use to low beam or parking lights. The government, in concert with various corporate interests has sold the driving public a bill of goods that doesn't live up to its advertised claims. It seems only fair that the government and the same corporate interests undo the damage they have done.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:48 AM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the source? Who is the author?
Old 06-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Some people may not like them, but I'll keep my DRLs thank you. The way people drive around here, I'll take anything that makes the car more visible to them.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:12 AM
georgec114
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting that one of the first attempts at "stealth" was to try to
hide ships at sea from the enemy during the day was to line the sides
with banks of lights. It worked pretty well but was impractical.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:32 AM
THE TECH
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it. Just another stupid bulb to burn out.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:40 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

lovin' the DRLs!

Old 06-25-2008, 11:12 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmvette
lovin' the DRLs!

I like those!!What make are they,where did you get them,and about how much(if you don't mind)
Old 06-25-2008, 07:01 PM
midlifetoy1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by itzza427
I like those!!What make are they,where did you get them,and about how much(if you don't mind)
Clear corner lenses & switchback LED bulbs

http://autolumination.com/switchback.html
Old 06-25-2008, 08:18 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 322 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
Some people may not like them, but I'll keep my DRLs thank you. The way people drive around here, I'll take anything that makes the car more visible to them.
Me too. With the low profile of the C5 it only makes common sense that the DRL's make it easier to spot from a head on position.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:21 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Disabled mine the day I bought my car
Old 06-25-2008, 08:28 PM
DRKMATTER
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Stephen
Old 06-25-2008, 09:40 PM
HiRiser
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EG@EnglandGreen
Disabled mine the day I bought my car
me 3
Old 06-26-2008, 01:30 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

They're illegal here in England so I have no choice. I've done the relay mod

I have to say I agree with the author of the article. If you can't see a car DRLs won't help you except in marginal visibility when you should have headlights on anyway. The other observation is that why is it only GM who has them? If they were so good other manufacturers would have followed.

Over here, if you see an amber signal it means someone is turning; no confusion.

JMHO

Last edited by DeeGee; 06-26-2008 at 01:34 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting about DRL's

Quick Reply: Interesting about DRL's