C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SORRY, but, I'm starting to dislike Corvette Fever now...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2001, 03:10 AM
rob75383
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SORRY, but, I'm starting to dislike Corvette Fever now...

I've owned my 'vette since Dec. '97, and since then I've only purchased 3 issues of Corvette Fever.
I seem to get more value for what I've been working on by subscribing to Car Craft and Chevy High Performance. I guess I was neutral in my opinion of Corvette Fever, until tonight that is...
I just purchased the Feb. '02 issue that has a red 80's C3 with a fireman on the cover.
On the very bottom of the cover, it listed 'Shark Engine Sealing Techniques' prominently enough that when I glanced at the mag, it was the first thing I noted. I then bought the mag just for the article it was describing.
To my intense dismay :mad , THERE IS NO ARTICLE, SIDEBAR, Q/A LETTER, OR ANYTHING THAT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH SHARK SEALING TECHNIQUES!!! :boxing
I'm sure that many people benefit from the info that they print in their magazines, but for me, 8 pages dedicated to C3's isn't enough. By subscribing to CC and CHP, I've gotten more technical info that I find useful in my particular restoration, than the stuff they print in CF, besides, the other mags have about 40-50 pages more in thier mags than CF does, and for the same newsstand price!
I am going to send Corvette Fever an e-mail detailing my position.
I'm going to try requesting that they e-mail me the missing article (worth a try ;) )
What's your opinion of Corvette Fever??

Happy Holidays to all...
and Pray for the ones who cannot be at your side. :flag :seeya

[Modified by '75 383 ElkGrove, 1:12 AM 12/24/2001]
Old 12-24-2001, 09:11 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: SORRY, but, I'm starting to dislike Corvette Fever now... ('75 383 ElkGrove)

I think the internet has replaced hobby magazines a LOT for the hobby participants....shows with the publishers merging to cut costs, the mags dropping projects, and of course the open discussions right here cease to make the CF, Vette, etc editors any longer relevant to the hobby....

it's the open discussion groups like this one that have replaced them....

and it's not just the Corvette hobby either....

GENE
Old 12-24-2001, 09:18 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: SORRY, but, I'm starting to dislike Corvette Fever now... ('75 383 ElkGrove)

i've been a subscriber of CF since the fall of 96 and was a subscriber of Vette magazine until a few years ago when they got a new editor who had never driven or owned a vette,but endorsed the Camaro over the vette!!!
anyway after 5 years with CF the articles start repeating themselves and i can tell not much effort went into an issue or issues. in there defense, it is hard to cover all the generations of vettes, keeping everyone happy. i do like their racing coverage of the C5. there is no reason to "headline" an article on the cover and then omit the article in the mag. and they have done this before as well as other mags. their article on a 700r4 swap left many many things out and wasn't accurate. i e-mailed them and got no response. i will probably let my subscription run out,but i did renew earlier this year for 2 years,so i'm good til jan 2003.
Old 12-24-2001, 09:26 AM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 183 Likes on 86 Posts

Until someone comes out with a C-3 mag, I don't think we're going to be totally happy. CF is doing their best to please all of us. I will continue to subscribe, because I don't want to see it go away.

:flag
Old 12-24-2001, 09:26 AM
jonvolk
Advanced

Default Re: SORRY, but, I'm starting to dislike Corvette Fever now... (Gary79)

the only car mag that i get in the mail is car craft....articles that actually tell how to do stuff, tells the stuff that goes wrong, writers have a great sense of humor and if theres a cheaper way of doing something they tell you about it. highly recommend picking up this mag if you never have.
Old 12-24-2001, 09:42 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

I currently get Corvette Fever, Chevy HI Performance, and Car Craft.

Going to let Corvette Fever expire - not much there for me anymore. I gotten it for about 4 years.

I have a new 2yr subscribition to Car Craft (was a gift) so I'll see. But so far I'm not really thrilled about it.

Keeping Chevy HI Performance. To me this is one of the best ones out there!
Old 12-24-2001, 09:52 AM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: SORRY, but, I'm starting to dislike Corvette Fever now... (KenSny)

Chevy High Performace is the best. The info in their mag is great.
Old 12-24-2001, 09:53 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

I have been a subscriber to CF since 1986 or 1987 I don't remeber exactly. I still have all the issues in storage in my attic. I liked it better years ago because it seemed to cover more repair "How-To's". The last year they have gotten back to more repair articles on the C3 cars but have to support the C4 and 5's too. I'll continue to subscribe,even after all thi time they never sent me a Tee shirt!! :confused:
I just let my Vette subscribetion runout, I was very disappointed in the format of this mag. I used to subcribe to Vette about 10 years ago and I think it was a little better then but not much. CF always had better tech articles.
I get C&P Corvette and that's not bad, but it's not a monthly issue either.
I get CHP and like it, I'll continue with it.
I just let Super Chevy runout. Like CF, I had subcribed for years to this mag, going back to the early 80's. When they had Doug Marion as editor the mag was great, he was a wrencher who knew his stuff. Anyone know what happened to him??
I started getting the various videos out there on vette restoration articles and these are good but start to get expensive. Some are good quality others are poor and not worth the money.
Never read Car craft that I recall so the next time I see an issue I'll give it a try.
Gary
Old 12-24-2001, 09:58 AM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I noticed the same thing. No matter the good points (few) mentioned above, WHERE IS THE ARTICLE? It is just absurd to have a cover feature mentioned and then not have it in the mag. Second class.

And, they have been saying more articles are to be published soon on beefing up the crossfire for over a year. But they never show up.

Going to let mine expire in another 18 months also.
Old 12-24-2001, 10:04 AM
2ND77
Instructor

I see what you guys are saying. I just bought my first issue in a while. Havent see one since I had my last vette. Well, got another one finally...went to the news stand and didnt even look at it before I bought it. Wow....what a difference from just a few years ago. The C-5 really had a large impact on what they put in there. I remember it used to have lots more C-3 stuff. I guess in the attempt to share the mag with all vette owners....they dont have the room for us after they use almost all the pages for C-5 (which is what it seems). Dont get me wrong....C-5 are vettes too, and I am glad there are mags that help us with our hobbies. I just wish they would put a few more pages in there and share the mag more with the C-1, 2, 3, and 4's.

Just my opinion.

Ron
Old 12-24-2001, 10:13 AM
Brutus
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Vette and CHP for me. CF has lost it.
Old 12-24-2001, 10:53 AM
81VETTOM
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

I get CF and Vette also. I like Vette better as they don't publish politically correct mid-years or new ones. In fact, that was noted in this month's mag about not so correct cars are not a problem. I have written both. Look at the number of article abouts mid-years and about new ones, neither mag responded, cause its true. Even Mid America when I questioned about having mid-year flags and newer but lacked C3's said, well we gotta stay with what sells. Blah, blah blah, at least they wrote me. Well, the C3's loose out. I suspect there are more C3's running and out there than mid-years or older. At least when I go to Carslile I can get correct cross flags added to my jackets and shirts, from Perky Vets anyway. Personnaly, I like the sharks, for style, variations and creature comforts. I guess I will hang on to Vette, let my CF drop and stay with the forum. :rolleyes:
Old 12-24-2001, 11:10 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: SORRY, but, I'm starting to dislike Corvette Fever now... (81VETTOM)

Another point is there are about 1/2 million c3 out there, and maybe 120 some thousand c5 all driven by older guys who can afford new ones....
so who can modify a c5, especially with the govt. looking down everyone's throat...???

the only place the mags can be succesful is with the hobbiest, due to pictures....but what with this and other hobby groups on the 'net....I still think they are numbered, even as advertizing for the car companies...all the true enthusiasts are here....the news stand readers are just wannabees....

GENE
Old 12-24-2001, 11:57 AM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: SORRY, but, I'm starting to dislike Corvette Fever now... (foundvettelifeisgood)

I have to agree with "foundvette" etc. You have to like any mag devoted to corvettes. They help keep the hobby alive and certainly have interesting articles even if they don't cover the particular thing your interested in all the time. It's a shame a mag devoted only to sharks (The Shark Quartly) died due to a lack of support. My favorite mag is "Corvette Cars and Parts". Great how to and resto articles, lots of pics with captions. Here is a list of articles in this month's issue:

Brake overhaul on a shark,
Tracing a short in a 60 vette,
New Carpeting, old vette,
Sting Ray door latch repair,
Detailing under a 427 hood,
Tire tests
There is also articles on shows, a tour of a corvette junkyard, a 63 Z06, a 331 mile 78 Pace etc etc.

I don't know, I'm interested in all corvettes and I'll support any mag devoted to them. :cool:

[Modified by gq82, 11:00 AM 12/24/2001]
Old 12-24-2001, 12:27 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: SORRY, but, I'm starting to dislike Corvette Fever now... (mrvette)

I gave up with magazines a long time ago. For the price of a few you can buy a book on a particular subject. Holley carbs, Rochester, fuel injection, whatever.
I get my 'Vette mags handed down to me from my brother, although he has a C-5 so he gets them for this subject.

I used to buy Hot Boat mag. It used to follow the subject matter pretty good. It now carries articles on the advertisers multi hundred thousand $$ inboard boats. Hardly any outboards and even fewer smaller performance boats. The article boats are lucky to break a hundred. The readers rides are always composed of boats that are about the price of a 'Vette can go close if not over a hundred and are usually Outboards. Here they POST pictures of what the readers actually own and the mag is devoted to what???

I mention this because the magazines don't exist for our benefit but the benefit of the advertisers and the most likely to sell articles. Usually, if you notice a mod of any kind is an infomercial for some particular product, not the actual mod.

The mags do fill a niche. If your totaly new to a subject, say radio control something or others its a good point to start learning. They include the advertisers and the web links- which lead to more links.
Old 12-24-2001, 12:41 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: SORRY, but, I'm starting to dislike Corvette Fever now... (Brutus)

I prefer Vette and CHP. My CF subscription will run out soon and I'm not renewing. CF seems to be for the NCRS guys when they cover C3's, Vette go for the modified cars, HP and looks. :D

I just sent Vette an e:mail las week inquiring about the Lazarus project they started last spring . . . haven't seen any follow up on it for 4-6 months???
Old 12-24-2001, 12:44 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: SORRY, but, I'm starting to dislike Corvette Fever now... (Techno)

I like CF and appreciate their efforts in trying to appeal to a wide variety of corvette owners. The magazine is great for those of us that appreciate all things corvette, and maybe not ideal for somebody only interested in their model year (plus or minus 2 years). Seems like every month they get blasted by somebody who feels left out! It's almost laughable - living proof that "you can't please all the people all of the time". I like their approach of having "themes" for each issue, whether it be "heroes in uniform" or "corvette divas". Again, how many articles can you do about that perfectly restored 67 L-88??

In this case, the "missing article" must be an editorial/publishng mistake. If it was done intentionally (as a "tease") I think that is wrong. Otherwise, maybe you can criticize them for sloppy editing but deadlines are tight and a monthly publishing cycle is tight, and as the forum censor software would say, "POOPIE happens" !! :) MJ

Get notified of new replies

To SORRY, but, I'm starting to dislike Corvette Fever now...

Old 12-24-2001, 01:09 PM
TONYS68L36
Drifting

Default Re: SORRY, but, I'm starting to dislike Corvette Fever now... (MNJack)

I get Vette and it usually looks like this: an article about a C1 or C2, C3, Maybe a C4, of course a C5, and 50% ads...I remember one write up about a TOTALLY stock C5...whats up with that??? NOT knocking C5's at all..Some of the hottest C5's out there are owned by guys on this forum...Maybe Vette should save some time and just scan some of the sections on Corvetteforum to find quality cars...I just get it (Vette) for a monthly picture fix, but I think this will be my last year with them...I can find pretty much anything I need to know on the forum and I dont have to wait 4 weeks to get it...
Old 12-24-2001, 01:59 PM
DADS8T2
Instructor

Default Re: SORRY, but, I'm starting to dislike Corvette Fever now... (TONYS68L36)

I crave just about any magazine coverage of Corvettes--but I have to admit, Corvette Fever lately seems to be suffering from a lack of effort. There's just not much there. I'll probably let my subscription run out and stick with my favorite: "Cars & Parts Corvette". For my money THAT'S the best of the 'vette lot. Lots of info and interest for most owners--and their coverage of C3's is more than adequate, in my opinion.

And while we're at it--I'll ask again--why is it that these C3 efforts (Shark Quarterly) don't get any support? Why is it that us C3er's always get short-changed when trying to buy logo'd items (etc.) at the shows? The suppliers will always state "it's not what sells!". Why then, does this forum have waaay more hits than any of the other years--doesn't that go hand-in-hand with the popularity of our 3rd generation cars? What's up with that?

[Modified by DADS8T2, 2:52 PM 12/27/2001]
Old 12-24-2001, 02:35 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: SORRY, but, I'm starting to dislike Corvette Fever now... (DADS8T2)

I agree with Techno, the mags are for entry level wrenchers, and the content is extremely questionable.
For example Car craft ( or was it Chevy High performance ?) just did an article on how compression affects hp.
What they did was to add gaskets to decrease the compression. At the lowest ratio they had 1/4" of gaskets on the poor thing! I don't know about you but isn't there supposed to be some squish area in a combustion chamber to stir it up? Not much squish with 1/4" of gaskets! :rolleyes:

Oh well at least car craft is entertaining!

Quick Reply: SORRY, but, I'm starting to dislike Corvette Fever now...