C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer - I meet Bubba for the first time!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2001, 01:35 AM
mrbeaubo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Harmonic Balancer - I meet Bubba for the first time!

Well here is the story. I was driving down the road fine the other day when all of a sudden "CLINK CLANG CLINK" in the engine compartment. I immediately start to pull over, notice no power steering, and pulled up in a parking spot and shut the engine off. It was dark outside so I left my lights on for about 3 minutes for a little light to possible see what was wrong. I went and turned the light off finally, and sat there waiting for my dad to get there with a big flash light to see if it was safe to restart the engine. I wasn't going to take any chances. I did turn the key over once though before he got there, and no response whatsoever. Uh oh, battery dead, must of been the alternator too. He gets there, we look down in the engine compartment, and guess what FELL OFF. You guessed it, the crank pulley and harmonic balancer. There was no bolt in the balancer to be seen and I'm not sure if BUBBA even had one in there although there is a hole for it. We pushed it home and a couple days later (EXAMS :mad ) I got to pull it out. The balancer and crank pulley looked find except for the 3 bolts that connect the pulley to the balancer were very loose. This leads to my 2 questions.

1) What could of made the balancer and pulley come off?

2) What size bolt (hardened grade 8) length/width whatever do I need for my balancer to put back on? The engine is a rebuilt 350, non-original.
Old 12-24-2001, 03:55 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Harmonic Balancer - I meet Bubba for the first time! (mrbeaubo)

go to your local speed shop and they will have a complete package,bolt,lockwasher and the big thick washer that you need. the balncer should be a very tight fit on the crank and if it is not you need a new balancer.

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer - I meet Bubba for the first time!