C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring questions with pics

Old 12-24-2001, 12:51 AM
BAD-L88
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Wiring questions with pics

I have the new engine wiring harness and front lamp wiring harness here. (I am still waiting for the TI harness.) I was/am under the impression that things are pretty much plug and play when it comes to installation. I have a few questions.

Below is a link to a photo where the TI harness has a white and brown (?) wire sticking out of it that goes into the firewall. The balance of that TI harness connects to various places around the engine compartment. Does anyone know where that wire goes? From my reading if the diagrams, and I am brand new at this, it appears to be the ignition switch. Whatever it is, how much do I need to tear apart the dash and/or carpet to get it properly installed? (and the old one removed)

TI harness wire into firewall: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/badl88/vwp?.dir=/My+Photos&.src=ph&.dnm=TI+Wire+into+fire wall.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/badl88/lst%3f%26.dir=/My%2bPhotos%26.src=ph%26.view=t

The link below shows a photo of the engine and front lamp harnesses going into the junction box. My first problem here is I still can not figure out how to unplug the old stuff. Is there a screw in the middle? Most of the books don't show you much down there and it is difficult to work and see around the power brake booster and vacuum reservoir tank. Second challenge, I have numbered two items in the photo below. At number "1" a wire goes into the firewall from the front lamp harness. Now that I am holding my new harness I realize that is the fibre optic set up. The question here is similar to above, how deep do I have to dig the dash and carpet to get the old fibre optic panel out and the new one in? At number "2" is a red and brown wire that runs between the two harnesses. On my new engine harness there is a red wire that sticks out on the junction box end. Does this wire need to be wrapped into the front lamp harness? Yes or no, where does it ultimately end up?

Wiring at the box: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/badl88/vwp?.dir=/My+Photos&.dnm=Engine+wiring+into+firewa ll.jpg&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/badl88/vwp%3f.dir=/My%2bPhotos%26.dnm=TI%2bWire%2binto%2bfi rewall.jpg%26.src=ph

Thanks for the help, I need it now but will share hands on knowledge in the future.

[Modified by BAD-L88, 8:05 AM 12/26/2001]
Old 12-26-2001, 04:09 AM
BAD-L88
Racer

Default Re: Wiring questions with pics (BAD-L88)

Any wiring experts out there?

I feel like I have stumbled upon the third rail of the corvette board. :)
Old 12-26-2001, 09:08 AM
jonvolk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not that this is gonna help ya any but ive had 3 wiring questions and none got replys :sad: if ya find a wiring expert let me know...i f-ed something up on my ignition system.
Old 12-26-2001, 10:59 AM
2ND77
Instructor

This is going to be pretty tough to answer without a wiring diagram. Unless someone has one...or jusr knows which wire is which off the top....

If you have a wiring diagram and can send it to me, I can help a little. Pretty good at reading those.

Ron
Old 12-26-2001, 11:22 AM
BLT-71
Burning Brakes

I am at work and will look at my diagram when I get home and will answer more correctly.
As I remember the wire that comes from the TI does go to the ignition but if correct you unplug a wire and replace it with the TI wire. And I recall it beeing a pink wire.
I will send this to you corrected this afternoon.
Old 12-26-2001, 12:39 PM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 823 Likes on 241 Posts

Hi...
Now that the Christmas activities have slowed down a bit, I got a chance
to read your post.
First, here is a good wiring diagram, easy to follow. http://www.tispecialty.com/articles/66-71diagram.htm

Also I added TI to mine about 25 years ago. Very straight forward.
If I remember correctly, there was only one wire going through the firewall
to the fuse block.
It plugged into an existing "pink" wire for the ignition.

I can take pictures of the connections if you need them. Just let me know.
All the best.

Barry
Old 12-26-2001, 01:25 PM
BAD-L88
Racer

Default Re: Wiring questions with pics (Barry's70LT1)

OK. so that wire into the firewall goes to the fuse block on the other side. That helps alot. Hopefully I won't have to tear up too much of the interior to get it there.
Old 12-26-2001, 01:28 PM
jonvolk
Advanced

do you have a wiring diagram you can post of the regualar points ignition?
Old 12-26-2001, 09:54 PM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 823 Likes on 241 Posts

Default Re: Wiring questions with pics (jonvolk)

do you have a wiring diagram you can post of the regualar points ignition?
This is for a 1970, from an AIM manual.
Barry

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring questions with pics

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wiring questions with pics