C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Stem Seals ????

Old 12-23-2001, 07:34 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Valve Stem Seals ????

I am going to try and replace the valve stem seals on my 1981 coupe this spring. Someone at work told me to buy "umbrella seals" instead of the stock ones because I have high milage on my vette. He said the original seals will not last long with high milage, does anyone know if this is true? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-23-2001, 08:23 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Valve Stem Seals ???? (Richard Cooper)

Hey Richie, happy holidays to you and yours.

High mileage or not, use the umbrella seals. You also have to put the little 0-ring seals on the valve stem also, but put them on after you slide the umbrella seal down on the valve stem. You can take a deep socket and just tap it down in place. I put them on both the intake and exhaust. All my blue smoke on start-up ceased as soon as I did it.

If you need an adapter for the spark plug holes to pump air in just let me know. Others have said just stuff a piece of thin rope in there. Either way works.

Take care,

Joe..
Old 12-23-2001, 09:10 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Valve Stem Seals ???? (78Vette-SA)

I hate the umbrella seals. Use viton seals that slip over the valve guide.

Doesn't matter how many miles are on the car if the seals leak. Or for umbella seals if they disintegrate.
Old 12-23-2001, 10:44 PM
Phlash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Valve Stem Seals ???? (Techno)

Ditto on the viton. Many people don't realize the umbrellas keep most of the oil off of the stem (acting like an umbrella in the rain) so it can't be sucked down into the intake ports. They last longer than the tight seals plus if you have cast guides, you can take too much lubrication away from the stems and actually wear them out much quicker with the tight seals.

Phlash 72 BB Roadster :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Valve Stem Seals ????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Valve Stem Seals ????