C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine detail update with pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2001, 07:15 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine detail update with pictures!

Here, this is for all you bandwitdth junkies. :jester
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/daniel77350/enginedetail.htm

Hope you like;

Daniel
Old 12-23-2001, 07:26 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: engine detail update with pictures! (daniel77350)

Lucky the rad didn't fall out! :eek:

Will look great when done. Keep the pics coming. I did the same thing two years ago. The car will run and ride much better afterward. :D
Old 12-23-2001, 07:55 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: engine detail update with pictures! (78Vette-SA)

78vette....Im using your website as referance. :lol:

You where my inspiration...Im going to attempt the "paint engine in car"....any tips you have that you can pass along to me? Will I need to paint the rest of the engine from the under side?

Daniel
Old 12-23-2001, 08:00 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

let me throw a question in here. How can I patch holes on my fire wall? These holes once held ignition boxes at one point(I guess)...anyway, I want to patch them...can I use bondo?

Daniel
Old 12-23-2001, 08:11 PM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

man...you've got some work ahead of you. ;)

I need to do that someday too... :(
Old 12-23-2001, 08:13 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm honored! :lol: :lol:

I actually painted the engine from underneath also. It's amazing what you can accomplish when most of the crap is out (especially the exhaust manifolds and AIR Tubes). With a little paper and tape, you can actually get at it pretty decently.

If you look at a couple of my pictures close you'll see a little bondo on the evaporator housing. I also had one small crack in the firewall. I put a coupld of thin coats of bondo on both and sanded it down. You could never tell even after two years.

To do it right though, a little fiberglass cloth and resin would do a better and longer lasting job. It would be more work through. I hadn't used fiberglass at the time so I went the quickie route. It worked.

The biggest suggestion I could offer is make sure it is CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN before your paint anything. If there is any oil or dirt your work will be wasted effort. I wiped everything down with 3m cleaner and then prepsol before the final painting.

And oh yea, wear a mask under there and keep some ventilation happening. If the other half is in the house, it will save some grief! :boxing

[Modified by 78Vette-SA, 7:17 PM 12/23/2001]
Old 12-23-2001, 08:48 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: engine detail update with pictures! (78Vette-SA)

there is no other half for me. And the area Im working in is 3/4th open, so ventilation will be pretty good. I think Im going to have to do fiberglass work though. On my heater core housing thingy...hopefully I can get at it from the engine bay when I get all that other S&*T out and can actually get a ratchet under there.

On the heater core housing thing, there are two good sized holes...I don't know how on earth they got there, but hopefully I can replace the heater core at the same time(if money permits)...

I'd say the most fun so far, is taking off a hose and seeing all that liquid come out...I keep thinking "didn't I drain the cooling system, I mean my radiator is GONE for crying out loud"....so it stops draining, and I take off another cooling hose, and MORE liquid. My 5 gallon bucket is getting full quick...but then again it also has a lot of rust in it...(I can't help that).

Hopefully when Im done it'll be purdy, I still havn't decided on engine block/valve cover colors. Except my upper A-arms will be crappy looking, so I'll have to rebuild my front suspension. But then I may as well do the rear suspension at the same time. Since Im that far let me fix that pesky fuel gague unit in there, it acts up, well since Im this far let me clean the under body. Now it looks beter underneith then it does up top, so I'll need new emblems, and a new dash, well the dash looks to good next to my old lower dash.... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

WHEN DOES IT END?????? :jester

Daniel
Old 12-23-2001, 10:34 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

looks good dan... i'm working on the cooling a little now also, how did you get the fan shrowd off, i have my rad loose, my ac evaperator off, i cant get it to come out... i'm thinking i'll have to loosen the rad support... to get it out

argh

ZD
Old 12-23-2001, 10:42 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: engine detail update with pictures! (ZD75blue)

couple things you may try:

take the fan/clutch assembly off the water pump, the shroud will be a breeze to come off. or:

you COULD try turning the shroud over. But read on:

The only way I can think of to get it off without removing the fan/clutch, is to take out the radiator, and even then its a tight fit. What you'll have to is be brunt with it, and try to spin the shroud over. The top is thinner then the bottom, so if you can get the bottom on top, and the top on bottom(so its upside down), it'll come out easier. Even with the radiator out, using this method, it was a tight fit, so I don't know if you could do it with the rad in...but just look into turning it upside down..its hard, but it will go...

Daniel

Get notified of new replies

To engine detail update with pictures!

Quick Reply: engine detail update with pictures!