C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ref: CF Steering Box

Old 12-23-2001, 04:08 PM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Ref: CF Steering Box

I want to check how much lube is in the steering box. Looking at the magazine article, step 18 says to adjust the "adjuster bolt until you feel the steering box tighten up when in the centered positoin."
If I check the fluid level do I have to unscrew the adjuster bolt or is there a way to check it by unscrewing the other bolts.
I just don't want to unscrew everything and mess the steering up in the car.

Please advise.
Old 12-23-2001, 04:49 PM
Allan71
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ref: CF Steering Box (scottw)

Just unscrew the the cover bolt that is closest to the frame. The adjuster is the larger nut with a slotted shaft in the middle; no need to touch that one now. There is no 'fluid' to check as the box uses chassis grease, GM 12377985 or any synthetic grease from your parts store. Load up your grease gun and fill up the box while turning the steering wheel from lock to lock. Unscrew the tip from the grease gun end and the threaded end can be inserted in the cover hole and it will lube the box without making a mess.
Old 12-23-2001, 05:36 PM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Ref: CF Steering Box (Allan71)

Thanks. Thats all I need to know.
Old 12-24-2001, 08:57 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Ref: CF Steering Box (scottw)

Just don't try to fill it completely. When the gear temperature goes up from underhood heat and grease expands inside the gear. You can blow the pitman shaft grease seal or the input shaft seal from the pressure.

If you have a completely empty, clean, new gear, the Chevrolet shop manual says to add 11 oz of their GM grease. This fills the gear only about 75% full and leaves about 25% of the gear with air in it. Naturally, with a 30 year old gear, who knows how much grease is still in there. So all I can say is don't try to fill completely.

Merry Christmas,

Jim Shea

Get notified of new replies

To Ref: CF Steering Box

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ref: CF Steering Box