C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three water pumps in 7 months!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2001, 11:47 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Three water pumps in 7 months!!!

Where is that Volvo forum anyway??? :mad

92 Volvo 740 wagon. Waterpump goes bad in May 01. Goes to dealer for repair. Early August we get coolant leaking again!! No prob, fixed under warranty. Today the wife pulls into the garage and I smell coolant.... dig out the old paperwork and I see the fine print says "12 month replacement parts warranty" so I guess we are ok. Very annoying, tho. Car doesnt run hot - why 3 waterpumps??????

And does anybody know of a "volvo forum" on the net?? MJ
Old 12-23-2001, 07:29 PM
rdrman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Three water pumps in 7 months!!! (MNJack)

I seem to remember something about a situation like this.. the belts were to tight way to tight and would cause rapid wear on the bearings FWIW
Old 12-23-2001, 10:43 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Three water pumps in 7 months!!! (rdrman)

Volvo has had this problem for years. Belt tension is critical to long pump life (small bearings, close together), and also the fan clutch bearing cages fail, allowing the shaft to go out of true, yet still function. If it's the clutch, you'll be able to see it in the fan. It's hard to describe, but it's sort of an ocsilation (sp?) up and down. Parts are a bit pricy as well. My dad had 'em for years 'till I got him in a Subaru. End of car problems (for the son that always had to fix them)...

Hans
Old 12-23-2001, 11:53 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Three water pumps in 7 months!!! (Wrencher)

Had that problem with Nissan alternators before. Use to tighten the dog chit out of the belt by wedging a turn buckle in between the alt and the engine. :confused: After replacing 3 of them in this manor my alternator guy put one on a bench and showed my what was happening. A little too much tension and the housing would start separating. But dangit if I didn't do it that way the dern belts would squeell like crazy. There was a fine line between correct tension and too tight.

Get notified of new replies

To Three water pumps in 7 months!!!

Quick Reply: Three water pumps in 7 months!!!