C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5w20 oil---The "new"new car and truck weight of oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2001, 09:40 AM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 5w20 oil---The "new"new car and truck weight of oil?

There's been some posts on oil weights.
Here's one on new 0w20
Not for our vettes or new vettes yet but for some 2001 Fords and Hondas.
Seems too light for me.

5W-20 OIL SPEC'S
SUPERFLO Super Premium Passenger Car Engine Oil
SUPERFLO 5W-20 represents a new quality level for passenger car engine oils. It is engineered to meet the proposed ILSAC GF-3 and API SL standards and is designed specifically for model year 2001 Ford and Honda Accord and Civic vehicles.
¨
Meets warranty requirements for model year 2001 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles except those with 4.0L V6 and 3.9 L V8 engines
Meets warranty requirements 1998-2001 model year Honda Accord and 1996-2001 Honda Civic
¨ Is not recommended for vehicles other than those mentioned above
¨ New 5W-20 grade offers improved fuel economy over conventional grades.
¨ Uses new low volatility basestock for reduced oil consumption and emissions
¨ Licensed against API SJ and ILSAC GF-2
¨ Meets Ford Engineering Material Specification WSS-M2C153-H
¨ Passed double length Sequence IIIE oxidation test which demonstrates significantly improved oil life over previous generation oils
¨ Exceeds the proposed industry API SL standard for the Thermal Engine Oil Stability Test (TEOST MHT-4) .
Primary Applications
SUPERFLO 5W-20 has been developed for the latest model year Ford and Honda gasoline vehicles to improve fuel economy and reduce high temperature engine deposits.
Although most late model North American built cars specify an SAE 5W-30 grade engine oil for use year-round, Ford and Honda have selected an SAE 5W-20 grade as the preferred grade for their vehicles to reduce fuel consumption. Extensive field testing by the engine manufacturers have demonstrated that there is no compromise in engine durability in gong to this fuel saving oil grade.
Superflo 5W-20 has been engineered to meet the proposed ILSAC GF-3 and API SL improved oil standards.

Next Generation Oil Standards
The current oil categories that are approved and licensed by API are ILSAC GF-2 and API SJ. For the last 3 years the industry has been developing an upgrade to these categories to be called ILSAC GF-3 and API SL. These new standards have significantly improved fuel economy and improved high temperature deposit performance. They have been delayed from the Jan 2000 initial proposed timing and may not be licensed until late 2001.
However, these proposed categories offer performance advantages that Ford and Honda chose to use in most of their 2001 model year cars. Superflo 5W-20 is engineered to meet this new quality level and is supplied as factory fill for some of these 2001 model year cars.

Performance Features
Fuel Economy
SUPERFLO 5W-20 contains a potent friction modifier system for improved fuel economy to meet the new standard proposed in ILSAC GF-3. This is significantly higher than the current standard in ILSAC GF-2
Excellent Engine Wear
SUPERFLO 5W-20 contains effective anti-wear additives that minimize wear and scuffing of heavily loaded parts such as the valve train.
Deposit Control/Engine Cleanliness
The detergent-dispersant additive system in SUPERFLO 5W-20 has passed a double length Sequence IIIE test demonstrating that it can minimizes ring zone deposits, ring sticking and liner scuffing. The potent additive system in SUPERFLO 5W-20 also prevents sludge formation that can lead to plugged oil filters and screens, stuck valve lifters and other related problems.
Maximize Oil Drain
SUPERFLO 5W-20 contains potent oxidation inhibitors to retard oil breakdown and reduce varnish and lacquer deposits.
Low Temperature Performance
SUPERFLO 5W-20 exceeds the low temperature requirements of 5W engine oils ensuring that adequate oil flows to critical engine components during start-up.
Improved Catalyst Compatibility
SUPERFLO 5W-20 is formulated with an additive package that is designed to protect the exhaust catalyst ensuring reliable operation.
Lower Volatility
SUPERFLO 5W-20 is formulated against the proposed ILSAC GF-3 requirements to protect the emission system and minimize oil consumption.
High Temperature Foam
SUPERFLO 5W-20 meets the new foam requirement, ensuring your engine is protected from wear in high engine speed accelerations.

Precautions
Superflo 5W-20 is manufactured from high quality petroleum basestocks, carefully blended with selected additives. As with all petroleum products, good personal hygiene and careful handling should always be practiced. Avoid prolonged contact to skin, splashing into the eyes, ingestion or vapour inhalation. Special care is also recommended in handling used motor oils. An ESSO Service Data Sheet entitled "Safe Handling of Used Motor Oils" is available on request from your ESSO Representative. Please refer to our ESSO Material Safety Data Sheet for further information.
Note: This product is not controlled under Canadian WHMIS legislation

[Modified by 69er, 7:45 AM 12/23/2001]
Old 12-23-2001, 02:20 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 5w20 oil---The "new"new car and truck weight of oil? (69er)

sounds like an oil that has no down side... though i think it would leak like a seive if you had a small leak... yah know what i mean?

ZD
Old 12-23-2001, 04:41 PM
7vette2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 5w20 oil---The "new"new car and truck weight of oil? (ZD75blue)

I have to use this stuff in my wife's Ford Escape. The downside is it never goes on sale because it is considered a specialty oil! :bs
Old 12-23-2001, 05:41 PM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: 5w20 oil---The "new"new car and truck weight of oil? (7vette2)

I have to use this stuff in my wife's Ford Escape. The downside is it never goes on sale because it is considered a specialty oil! :bs
ZD75blue 5x20 would leak pretty good.

Wow!Mandatory on a Ford escape.
5w20 scares me.
Although Mobil 1 has 0w30 and 0w40 oils available.
I use Mobil 1 5w30 in colder months and 10w30 in warm months on my '99 Expedition and '99 Maxima.
Old 12-23-2001, 10:28 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: 5w20 oil---The "new"new car and truck weight of oil? (69er)

Anybody care to tell me what the numbers in 5W20 stand for?
Old 12-23-2001, 11:44 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 369 Likes on 218 Posts

Default Re: 5w20 oil---The "new"new car and truck weight of oil? (Dalannex)

The 5W means the oil has viscosity properties of SAE 5 weight oil at winter time temperatures: not certain, but I believe at 32 deg F. The 30 means the oil has viscositiy properties of SAE 30 weight oil for summertime temperatures: not certain, but I believe at 80 deg F. While the actual engine temperature will be higher once the engine has warmed up, the concern for lubrication is at the first few seconds of engine start-up. It is during these few seconds that most of the metal deterioration takes place. That is why a thin oil is needed for the winter and a thicker oil is used for the summer. Also the thinner the oil the better the lubrication and the lesser amount of friction. But if the thin oil is not strong enough to hold its particulate bond then metal to metal contact occurs.
My plant's Mobil/Exxon lubrication engineer told me that the 0W20 oil will be the standard oil of the future in just a couple years for the newer cars. He did not recommend using a lower visocity oil than that originally recommended for the car due to newer manufacturing methods/materials were able to allow the new engines to operate with the thinner oils.

Roger

Roger

Get notified of new replies

To 5w20 oil---The "new"new car and truck weight of oil?

Quick Reply: 5w20 oil---The "new"new car and truck weight of oil?