C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2001, 05:59 AM
gerry c
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Bleeding

Seeing a lot of brake bleeding questions and omments here lately. This reminded me of a tool I had about thirty years ago and wondered if they are still around.

The "tool" was a maybe 12 inch piece of hose with a one-way valve on the end of it. It worked by slipped the hose over the bleeder (tight fit) and the valve into a jar. When you pumped the brakes, fuild came out and the valve stopped air from going back in (most of it anyway). As I remember, it worked pretty well and was cheap, otherwise I would not have bought it.

Does anyone remember this tool and are they still being made? I have some brake work coming up and would love to get one of these again.

Old 12-23-2001, 08:13 AM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Default Re: Brake Bleeding (gerry c)

gerry c
I use one too. It is a one man brake bleeder. I picked one up at Auto Zone last week. Cost $4.95. really does help.
Bob
Old 12-23-2001, 08:29 AM
BLT-71
Burning Brakes

A newer version is the speed bleeder. The bleeder itself has a check valve in it and all you do is turn the bleeder add a hose to be neat and pump.
Old 12-23-2001, 08:58 AM
454Big
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Brake Bleeding (BLT-71)

While we are talking about speed bleeders.....

I received speedies from VB&P and they seem to have some kind of microcapsule paint on the treads.

Does this mean that they can only be used once??? (meaning that if they are removed will they seal ever again?)
I think this sacifices their use....

Any mechanic around who can highlight me??? :confused:
Old 12-28-2001, 12:48 PM
DEVOUR
6th Gear

Default Re: Brake Bleeding (454Big)

I use the same method, but without a check valve. Put a little clean fluid in the catch bottle and keep the end of the hose below the fluid line. Works like a champ and I have never seen it draw back anywhere near the amount of fluid it puts out.
Old 12-28-2001, 06:09 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as the open end of the hose is immersed in fluid then you don't need the valve. Most bleeding problems are due to a loose fit of the hose around the bleeder nipple, but this can be overcome by closing the bleeder valve while depressing the brake pedal if you have an assistant, or by holding the pedal down with a 2' long 2x4 wedged between the pedal and towel protected seat before walking around to tighten the bleeder.
Old 12-29-2001, 09:57 PM
Dsmith
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

With a real tight hose at the bleeder valve things work fairly well. After I confirmed only fluid coming out, I waited for various periods of time and found that you have enough time to get out of the car and close the bleeder valve before air would seep back into the line because of the hose/valve fit. If I waited too long, sure enough, air would spit out again. But after 10 seconds, I'd still get good fluid flow, enough time to close the line. Mirrors come in handy to see the right side of the car while depressing pedal. :smash:
Old 12-29-2001, 11:15 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Brake Bleeding (Dsmith)

It could be argued that no air is leaking past the threads of the bleeder, I'm not so sure.
But if you have the help there are two thing that you are missing doing it alone.
1: your supposed to tap the caliper to loosen any bubbles.
2: you can't see the bleeding process. The bubbles

You also miss on the scintilating conversation.
Up
Down
Up
Down...

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Bleeding

Quick Reply: Brake Bleeding