C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood latching problem...feedback please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2001, 01:39 AM
Texxas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood latching problem...feedback please.

I have the original 74, 454 cowl induction hood back on my vette. My problem is that the mechanics who put the hood back on did not align it correctly and it latches on the passenger side but not on the drivers side. It is obviously out of line. I had purchased new hinges from Ecklers for the install.

It seems that this would be a simple fix but I do not want to bubba-rig it and thought you all might have some advice. I am about as mechanically minded as a stump but this does not seem to difficult and I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Texxas
74 454 coupe :flag
Old 12-23-2001, 03:19 AM
slide
Racer

Default Re: Hood latching problem...feedback please. (Texxas)

There should be 2 bolts on both hindges that mount to your hood, loosen these and you can move your hood forward and back to make alignment adjustments, There is also two spring pins located up by the firewall that the hood goes down over to latch to, these should have a slot in the top of them so you can turn them to raise or lower the height of the pin, if the one is to low it probably isn't going up into the latch assembly on your hood. I believe these pins also have a lock nut at the base, you will need to loosen this nut before you can turn the pin with a screwdriver. Make sure that the latch assembly on the hood is working before you make any adjustments, it may just need some penetrating oil sprayed on it then worked by hand.
Old 12-23-2001, 09:42 AM
Texxas
Instructor

Default Re: Hood latching problem...feedback please. (slide)

Thanks much!!!

Merry Christmas!!!

Texx :flag
Old 12-23-2001, 01:55 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Hood latching problem...feedback please. (slide)

The latching pins also are adjustable front to back and sideways. Get the hood where you want it then adjust the latchs to engage.
This may take severel slight jogs to get it just right.
You can also reach through the gills if you want to jiggle them with the hood sitting on them. This would be for a coarse adjustment though.

Get notified of new replies

To Hood latching problem...feedback please.

Quick Reply: Hood latching problem...feedback please.