C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth it to replace the stock 2 plane?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2001, 11:27 PM
compuvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth it to replace the stock 2 plane?

As some of you know, I have a 71 ZQ4 270HP 350 that I will be doing some work on. I am replacing the cam with a Crane Blue Racer 284H and putting in Kieth Black pistons for 9.7:1 compression. I am leaving the stock carb, manifold, and exhaust manifolds in place (wife wants the car to look stock under the hood). I can get away with replacing the intake and that is probably it. Would it be worth it to put in an Edelbrock performer or performer air-gap manifold with the q-jet? I would not try the air-gap RPM because of the adapter plate, but the air-gap performer should fit under the stock hood and will allow the qjet to bolt right in. I can also paint it and with a quick glance, it should look stock. I was just wandering if it would make a performance difference. I would like to get more power than the 71 LT1 (330HP). I am close (325HP) but will need a little more. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2001, 09:52 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Is it worth it to replace the stock 2 plane? (compuvette)

Yes. I would say you would pick up 15 to 20 HP with the performer manifold. Headers would be a great help also. I know this is not stock looking but I think headers are the best bang for the buck. Intake and headers would get you to 350+ HP in my opinion.
Old 12-23-2001, 09:59 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

......wife wants the car to look stock under the hood....
That's a new one.... all mine wants is a comfortable seat, T-Tops off, and windows down, and getting to drive it every-now-and-then.
Old 12-23-2001, 10:08 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I used a Performer 2101 and picked up significant power - esp torque.
IMHO, you have too much cam for your other components. With stock carb and exhaust, you will be happier with a crane 272 or comp cams 268 - much more torque and mid range rpm performance for street driving.
Old 12-23-2001, 11:40 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Re: Is it worth it to replace the stock 2 plane? (flynhi)

I put on the Performer 2101 and can see alot better low end torque (spins tires easier and for longer time). Match your cam to what you want to do with the car. The wrong cam will only make thing worse then what you have now. I put in Crane 2040. you can call them or check out their web site to se what Rpm range you want to run in. Corvette Fever wrote an article on what changes needed to be made to get to 350hp and keeping the stock look awhile back. They increased the valves, matched the intake and exhaust ports, added Flat top pistons, and used the same cam kit.
Brian 73 L-48

Get notified of new replies

To Is it worth it to replace the stock 2 plane?

Quick Reply: Is it worth it to replace the stock 2 plane?