C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

door panel problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2001, 09:32 PM
jonvolk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door panel problem

on my driverside door panel the metal tab the bolts the panel to the door on the lower rear part is bent and the hole that it screws into is too big. the problem is that the tab is cuttin into the door jamb evertime i open and close the door, if i unbolt the tabe the door panel doesnt want to stay on the door when its opened and closed. any suggestions on what i could do to remedy this problem? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Old 12-22-2001, 11:14 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: door panel problem (jonvolk)

Simple solution: Tap a larger screw into the door to hold the metal tab against it.

Correct solution: Remove the door panel, inspect and repair the tab as well as the door panel as necessary. This may include replacing the plastic "velcro" tabs that are designed to also hold the door panel to the door.
Old 12-23-2001, 12:25 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: door panel problem (SharkAttack)

Simple solution: Tap a larger screw into the door to hold the metal tab against it.
You could do that, or you could take off the panel, weld something into the hole retap it and put the screw back in. Or you can use some soft copper and put a little bit of wire in the hold along with the screw. It will deform and take up the slack. Depends on what your objectives are. If you're into the purist correct bolt thing etc, then you might not want to do the bigger screw thing. :)
Old 12-23-2001, 02:37 AM
john73bb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: door panel problem (jonvolk)

If you just want to make it work, drill it out and put in a nut-rivet. They are kind of like a pop rivet but they are threaded for a machine screw. You could then get a 8-32 or 10-32 flat head machine screw (to match the nut rivet) and it should hold forever. There are aluminum and steel nut rivets. (you will also need the nut rivet gun, but they are so useful that everyone should have one anyway). You can get the nut rivets and gun at most Ace hardware stores I think.
Old 12-23-2001, 06:50 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: door panel problem (john73bb)

Agree with others. You can also buy a new "tab" for literally $1.00 or so and replace it. In addition to the "wrap the wire" trick and the nut inserts, it you take off the door panel to replace the tabs and/or the velcro gizmo's, you could also POSSIBLY do some creative metalsmithing on the back of the screw hole....pound it out, etc, and maybe get enough "meat" for the original size screw to bite. You could also possibly put a "J" nut behind the hole. Hope this helps. Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To door panel problem

Quick Reply: door panel problem