C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bleeding brakes, how far out do the screws have to be opened?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2001, 02:43 PM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Bleeding brakes, how far out do the screws have to be opened? (JRChurch)

I usually use the two person method for bleeding, one at the caliper one pushing the brake pedal. Put clear tubing on the bleeder and a wrench. Have the person in the car pump the brake up and hold the pedal down. The person at the caliper should be able to turn the bleeder screw about a quarter turn and you should see fluid/air in the tubing. The person in the car will feel the pedal get soft. Make sure they keep pushing. When the fluid flow stops at the caliper, tighten the bleeder. Lather, rinse, repeat.... :)

If you loosen the screw too much the fluid will start seeping around the threads as well and make a mess.

[Modified by PatG, 12:44 PM 12/22/2001]
Old 12-22-2001, 05:16 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: Bleeding brakes, how far out do the screws have to be opened? (PatG)

I would say that if fluid is flowing out when you push on the peddle, the bleeders are loose enough. From your question it sounds like that you are hoping to get any dirt out of the lines by bleeding. I think you mentioned that you have sludge in the M/C in an earleir post. I had the same problem. Rather than flushing all that crap through the system, what I did was scrapped it off the bottom of the M/C, sucked it out with a turkey baster, put in fresh fluid and repeated until I had it pretty clean. I would also replace the rear crossover line since it has a low point where I was told water sits and rust forms. It was easy to get to and maybe $14 from oner of the supply houses.
Old 12-22-2001, 05:34 PM
Lasse
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Bleeding brakes, how far out do the screws have to be opened? (R. Bruno)

Keep a eye on the reservoir level to prevent new air in it, and tell the driver to push softly, so the fluid don't splash away to the compartment.

Good luck (not so hard when you done it)! :cheers:
Old 12-22-2001, 05:48 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Default Re: Bleeding brakes, how far out do the screws have to be opened? (JRChurch)

JR -
If no fluid comes out after cracking them about 1/2 turn, you have a little corrosion plugging the bleed hole. This is very common: rust will fill the little hole in the bleeder, and they don't work anymore. Simply pull the bleeder out and put a drip pan under the caliper. Using a small drill, you can twist the drill bit between your fingers and clean the rusted hole out that's in the bleeder. Blow out the crud after you get it opened up, and pop it back into the caliper.

Get notified of new replies

To Bleeding brakes, how far out do the screws have to be opened?

Quick Reply: Bleeding brakes, how far out do the screws have to be opened?