Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

[C6] Door Panel re-installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 08:18 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Default [C6] Door Panel re-installation

The C6 is one of the easiest cars to work on I've encountered for the stereo, but getting the door panels back on were a constant thorn in my side. Well my buddy sprkboy was getting the same frustration and decided to give the Brute Force & Ignorance (BFI, or BFH if you prefer!) approach a try and wadda ya know.. it works like a darned charm!

Instead of trying to hook the clips over the top and keep them on while getting all of the pins into the grommets to secure the panel, do it the other way around. Get all the pins lined up and pop them into place. THEN hold onto the outside of the door and give the top of the panel a shot at 3 or 4 places along the top edge with the heel of your hand. BINGO, the clips push themselves right up & over and hold the door securely.

I realize that it may not be a terribly elegant approach and if you're worred about scratches on the inside of the door (that by the way will never be seen) then you certainly can do it the way I had done previously. However for my money & time, clip & pop and done is the ticket.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:31 AM
papester
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Anything has to work better the the "normal" approach. I will give this method a try the next time.

Thanks for the info....

Judd

Old 06-13-2008, 09:49 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

i must be one of the few that can get it on with minimal problems from the top first but i could see this bein easier
Old 06-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes you just have to use muscle. Oddly enough, I find I break things more often when I'm trying to be careful.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:03 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Kale
Sometimes you just have to use muscle. Oddly enough, I find I break things more often when I'm trying to be careful.

A lot of times things like those hooks are there for ease of assembly, not later use. For my '07 Avalanche the service manual actually tells you the hooks on the bottom are OK to break, they're only for easy of initial assembly.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:30 PM
openhelix
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any tips on getting them off to start with?
Old 06-13-2008, 12:35 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by openhelix
Any tips on getting them off to start with?
Removal is very simple.

Driver's side - there's a 3" long narrow cover behind the door handle that you pop off to reveal two T20 Torx screws.

Passenger side - use a thin-bladed screwdriver to pop the door open button off and there's one T20 Torx screw behind that. Then angled on the under side of the arm rest there is another T20 Torx screw.

After that it's the same for both. Feel along the bottom edge of the door panel until you feel an indent about 3" long towards the back. Pull hard there and the retaining pins will start to pop out. Pull the whole bottom first and then up each side. They sound AWFUL when they release, like you're breaking them, but that's just how they sound.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:05 PM
openhelix
Burning Brakes

THANKS!!!
Old 07-03-2008, 06:22 AM
don99vette
Advanced

I'm guessing the person that designed the C6 door panel never had to actually install the panel. I had a 92 Silverado that I could remove and reinstall in about five minutes and did not come close to breaking anything or need to beat it.

I reinstalled my door panel putting the pins in the grommets first and then beating on the panel to get the clips to hook in. I could get the two outside clips on both ends to hook in but not the two middle ones and I beat and banged pretty hard, it's a tough panel. After fighting with it for about an hour I tried with the door closed and standing outside the car pulled the panel up and in, that worked very well.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:29 AM
CraigE
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have r & r'd my panels at least 50 times.
With the window down, I line up the top pin holes and then, starting from the rear, hook the clips ONE at a time.
Then check that all the pins are aligned and tap the panel in with the palm of my hand.
The following users liked this post:
corrado (04-02-2016)
Old 12-29-2008, 06:18 PM
skamp
Pro

Originally Posted by CraigE
I have r & r'd my panels at least 50 times.
With the window down, I line up the top pin holes and then, starting from the rear, hook the clips ONE at a time.
Then check that all the pins are aligned and tap the panel in with the palm of my hand.
I broke off one of the top clips from beating on it. I used your technique and it took 2 seconds. The key is having the window rolled down like you stated.

Steve
Old 06-22-2009, 03:30 PM
tzumalt
1st Gear

I used this method to reinstall the door panels by connecting the bottom first and pulling the top into place but I had some difficulty.

The top clips dug into the metal trim on the tip of the door (inside where it could not be seen). This caused the clips to not slide over and into their final destination.

I determined the problem was that the metal clips had a gagged edge which caused them to dig into the pain on the metal.

Re resolved by using my Dremel to smooth the gagged edge so the clips would easily slide over the top of the door.

After smoothing the edges the panel pulled easily over and dropped properly into their location.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:29 PM
titleist731
Racer

Originally Posted by tzumalt
I used this method to reinstall the door panels by connecting the bottom first and pulling the top into place but I had some difficulty.

The top clips dug into the metal trim on the tip of the door (inside where it could not be seen). This caused the clips to not slide over and into their final destination.

I determined the problem was that the metal clips had a gagged edge which caused them to dig into the pain on the metal.

Re resolved by using my Dremel to smooth the gagged edge so the clips would easily slide over the top of the door.

After smoothing the edges the panel pulled easily over and dropped properly into their location.
i just did the same thing and pulled it over, had no idea where the clips went but after i figured it out
Old 03-23-2011, 12:07 AM
FrankZ06
Racer

I've had the door panels off a few times and I have tried various methods. Be careful beating on the top of the door panel because sometimes the clip doesn't slide into place, but rather break right off. I was cursing mine the other night trying to get them back on and came across a method that worked very well. I had my wife helping me which seemed to help a lot. I started at the top of the panel closest to the car with the window down. I slid the top grommet in while I put the clip closest to the car over the top of the door. While doing this, my wife made sure the rest of the door panel didn't clip in. Once these 2 were in, the rest of the panel just seemed to go right back on without any problems. Take it for what its worth and try at your own risk. I tried this method from the rear of the door farthest from the car and it wouldn't work. You have to start at the front of the door closest to the car. Good Luck...
Old 03-23-2011, 03:15 PM
ROC OUT
Pro

I thought I was the only person that had this problem until now. Let me say that it frustrated the hell out of me trying to get the door panels back on and the top was the problem. I used none of the technics listed here although these would have worked. Instead, I bent the metal clips at the top of the panel out slightly and put the top part of the panel on first. The clips grabbed and held on perfectly while I made my way around the panel pushing in the other fasteners. Others may want to try this approach in addition to the ones mentioned here.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:34 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

I guess I'm just lucky

I've put so many C5/C6 door skins back on I think I can do it in my sleep at this point, and I know I can do it half drunk. I actually think the C6 is easier than the C5 was.

I hold the skin a few inches away from the door and get the push pins in roughly the right position, then tilt the skin at about 30* and drop the metal tabs into the top groove starting nearest the hinge. Use the paint scratches on the door to line up the clips. Once all of the clips are in the groove I tilt the skin to the door making sure the top front guide pin lines up properly, then just push it in all the way around. I use the palm of my hand to pound the skin on all the way once I'm sure all of the pins were properly seated.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:04 AM
00Hawk#140
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thx for the info here...they are a PIA !!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:08 AM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Ancient History
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html

Get notified of new replies