C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bypassing alarm system...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 11:53 PM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Bypassing alarm system...

Today I went to work, and after I got off, I went to start the Vette, and nothing. The car wouldn't even crank over. I checked and it wasn't the battery. This has happened to me several times since I have owned the car. I'll drive it, and a little while later(5-6 hours) try to start it, and it won't do nothing. I have asked around, and people tell me that it is the factory alarm system activating and shutting down the car for several hours to prevent people from stealing it. Does the factory alarm system really do this on 81 vettes? Why else would the Vette start, and then later not start for a few hours? Has anyone bypassed the alarm system?
Old 12-22-2001, 12:01 AM
daniel77350
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bypassing alarm system... (corvettemaster)

bypass? Im trying to get mine working again. :crazy:

Daniel
Old 12-22-2001, 12:07 AM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Bypassing alarm system... (daniel77350)

I want to bypass mine and get a good alarm system installed, like Viper. IMO, the Factory Alarm System is a bunch of tangled up wires that needs to be ripped out. They work when they are not supposed to, and don't work when they are. :crazy: :crazy:
Old 12-22-2001, 12:16 AM
daniel77350
Drifting

I guess Im trying to be one of those "I can make it origional easily if I need to" guys. Plus my alarm activation switch is in the fender, so I don't turn it on when I lock my doors like on your car(I think)....so if I didn't ever use it, I wouldn't be forced to. But it'd be cool because Im always asked "whats that keyhole for?"...I said "that the alarm"...they say "does it work?"...I say "no :(" ...I want to be able to say "of course, everything works" :jester

Daniel
Old 12-22-2001, 12:29 AM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Bypassing alarm system... (daniel77350)

Yeah, I understand. BTW, the '81 alarm does activate when the doors are locked, meaning you have to use it 24/7.

I would like to have one of those alarms that say "Please step away from the car" when people get close to it. The alarms are not that expensive, but installing and fooling with all those wires would be a major hassle.
Here's one I would like to install: http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jht...218&PID=523995
Has anyone attempted hooking an alarm system like this up, or did you just let the professionals handle it?
Old 12-22-2001, 09:48 AM
MikeE.79
Advanced

Man if your burglar alarm is acting up I would consider getting it fixed or dissabled. My 79 had a short in it and cought the fuse panel on fire and all I did was open the door and smoke started comming up from around the dash. Three months and $3500 later I got it back on the road. The insurance covered the damage to the car but not the damage from not being able to drive it all summer. :sad: :sad: :sad:
Old 12-22-2001, 04:05 PM
Plastic Wheels
Instructor

Had mine do the same thing on my '76. I assume it was factory installed. Had the key in the fender, a light on the guage besel next to the radio,and a small infrared or other contraption to disable the alarm. It had a mind of it's own it would disable and enable at it's own discression. I would monkey around with the remote and get it working eventually but it was a real pain.

One day after messing arround trying to get the darn thing running I decided I'd had enough so into the lower dash panel on the drivers side I dove, found the culprit with many wires attached. With a prayer I removed the PC Board by unhooking the connectors on both ends. Each connector had 6 to 12 wires running to it. (I could see myself tracing wires and reconnecting to get the Vette running) Well, lo and behold the old gal started and ran and I've not looked back. I guess for once the engineers designed something right. They used the same wiring harness to work with and without the alarm system.

Get notified of new replies

To Bypassing alarm system...

Quick Reply: Bypassing alarm system...