C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tom is awesome!!!

Old 12-21-2001, 11:47 PM
Jenny
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tom is awesome!!!

Our engine teardown went great!!! I learned a lot and really appreciate him taking time out to teach us how engines are put together and work. I had a blast..mike took some really good pics that i cna post if that's ok... I am just amazed at Tom's skill and experience. Totally awesome. Thanks again Tom, hope to see you soon!!! :)
Old 12-22-2001, 12:09 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: Tom is awesome!!! (Jenny)

...and I thought this was going to be a thread about me :D :D :D

tom...

[Modified by Tom73, 10:09 PM 12/21/2001]
Old 12-22-2001, 12:28 AM
Jenny
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Tom is awesome!!! (Tom73)

HAHAHAHAAH Tom454 :)
Old 12-22-2001, 12:45 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Tom454 is a God send to the needy engine builder. He's a great resource for all of us. Very high quality people found in this forum!
Old 12-22-2001, 03:42 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Jeeze my computer has been down for a few days and you have got the motor torn down already, last time I heard you didn't even know what engine you wanted.
That's pretty impressive. I am going the 383 route too, maybe you can post some details of the rebuild ( parts etc. ) :D
Old 12-22-2001, 03:55 AM
Jenny
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Tom is awesome!!! (MotorHead)

Motorhead,

This wasn't "my" engine, it was just an engine for a couple of us to see how all the stuff fits together, and how all this works. Tom invited me to learn. I haven't bought anything yet. Although, i think i have pretty much decided on my combination. The rear spring will be replaced before anything, probably w/ a fiberglass unit. While i'm under there i'll check to make sure all the suspension stuff is in order before pursuing more power. AFR's should be on the way in a month or two. :)
Old 12-22-2001, 08:49 AM
Ingar, Norway
Racer

I subscribe to this.
Toms in-depth knowledge and willingness to share it has helped me a lot.
Old 12-22-2001, 08:58 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the good press Jenny. Just remember that old geezer I told you all about with the big stogies... as much as he tried to scare me away, I kept going back for more knowledge... and he shared. Just keep the chain going by passing the knowledge along.

I had that mess all cleaned up by 1:30 a.m. and the Yellow Submarine was back in her perch before I went to bed.
Bring that Q-Jet over at your convenience and I'll put a bushing in the throttle body... should cure the problem.
It needs a rebuild based on what I saw. Just pick up a kit & bring it over.

If you don't get the brakes straightened out, I can fix those as well. No big deal.

I still can't believe that all of the people who showed up knew each other. Way cool.

Also... the cookies were good.

Tom

PS- no problem with the pics. I tried to stay out of Mikes way but I think I messed some of them up.\\

Edit: I must add... this was a "hands on" session and Jenny did yank some pistons and was not afraid to get her hands dirty. I was impressed.

[Modified by Tom454, 8:56 AM 12/22/2001]
Old 12-22-2001, 10:29 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,590 Likes on 1,329 Posts

You're right about Tom, pretty nice guy who knows his stuff. I have touched base withhim here for the past couple of years and certainly gained from it. I spoke with Tom this week on some questions I had and it was nice to finally talk after all this time. Too bad you live down South Tom-are you sure you don't want to come back to the NorthEast, the weather's getting just right for the holidays :D
Gary
PS Tom I might be calling/emailing you about that spindle fixture you made up, as I expect/hope to get to them right after Xmas. Thanks
Old 12-22-2001, 01:47 PM
Jenny
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Tom is awesome!!! (Tom454)

Great! I will do that. Thanks so much. I will try to get that carb off in the weekend and get a rebuild kit. I'll give you a call so i dont' surprise you by just showing up at your house on a random day :). Have you decided what you are going to do with that Block? When's the ford coming together...? THAT will be a site to see!! TTYL, mucho gracias,

-Jen
Old 12-22-2001, 06:29 PM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Default Re: Tom is awesome!!! (Tom73)

...and I thought this was going to be a thread about me :D :D :D

tom...

[Modified by Tom73, 10:09 PM 12/21/2001]
If you want to come over and help me change my water pump, drop the transmission and change the pilot bearing, I'll write a nice thread about you, too. ;)
Old 12-23-2001, 10:43 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Tom is awesome!!! (Chris Fowler '80)

Gary- the spindle fixture is just a piece of 2x8 with four pieces of threaded rod mounted to match the hole pattern in the spindle support. The rod is countersunk on the bottom (for clearance) and retained by nuts & washers. Nuts are also paired off (tightened against each other) to locate the spindle support at the desired height. The rest is designed to match whatever dial gage accessories you have. Since it's made out of wood, you can get as fancy as you like. Mine is set up so that I can mount it to my workbench when in use. Just make sure you drill the holes for the threaded rod perfectly perpendicular to the board or you will have trouble getting the spindle support on/off the jig. Also- used kiln dried wood... well dried so that your new jig doesn't warp. Better to find a piece that has been laying around than a fresh cut piece.
RE: The northeast- eeeeeghad!! I'm dreaming of a green Christmas...
I had a 350 foot driveway and a parking lot for 10 cars, on a 4 lane State highway (NJ RT 46). I personally cleared the snow. I was in the north-western part of the state which got a lot more snow than the rest of NJ. When I first moved to NC, I was still a landlord in NJ... and I had "hot-rodded " boilers up there which I installed myself... I had to maintain them, so road trips between NC and NJ were common. Besides shoveling the roof, I think the wall of snow produced by the highway plows was my favorite part. I sure do miss falling off the roof.

Jen- RE The Ford- I'll be dropping that in after I rebuild the AOD transmission that is going behind it.... sometime in January. I have the gaskets for the valve body, but I need to get the actual overhaul parts.
RE: The block we tore town... looks like a 383 is in its future as long as a sone test comes back positive.

Chris- Ha! You know I've been to Round Rock. Better watch out.. I might sneak up on you. I know the back roads, and I know what you did last summer. :)
Old 12-23-2001, 11:05 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,590 Likes on 1,329 Posts

Thanks Tom,
I already have a 1/2" aluminum plate I made up that has the 4 holes on-center with a large hole bored in the center to fit the housing flat against the plate. I mount that in a vise with the housing/spindle horizontal and check the end play. I think I'll rotate it 90* so the spindle is Vetical like you said and compare readings. I'm thinking of making up a handle and pivot so I can apply equal force to the spindle when checking the end play. It's not too bad to do with it Horizontal but I'm not sure how much force I can get on it vertical?
I know what you mean about the weather and snow :mad But so far this year we have had the warmest Nov and Dec on record :yesnod: It would be nice to be able to work on the cars all year outside, but when I hit the lottery it'd be differant!....Yeah right!
Have a good holiday,
Gary
Old 12-23-2001, 11:13 AM
VolVette
Melting Slicks

I wish I had known about this gathering! I would have made the drive down to Raleigh to see a real master take an engine apart and teach young, ambitious minds! I have my original L48 out of my '75 on a block and want to learn more before I just go in and learn the hardest way! Glad all of you had fun and I look forward to seeing the pictures!

Cheers,

Stephen
Old 12-23-2001, 11:40 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Tom is awesome!!! (VolVette)

Gary- I forgot you had told me on the phone the other day that you had already fabricated that plate. The reason I used wood and threaded rod is because the rod raises the spindle support up and away from the wood base so that a lever can be fabricated and permanently hinged to press up on the end of the spindle bearing setup tool while a dial gage reading is obtained on the top side. This eliminates all guesswork, and allows you to maintain a single point of contact for the dial gage to eliminate the possibility of a skewed reading due to irregularities on the face of the setup tool (as we discussed). Hope this clarifies it.
Old 12-24-2001, 12:19 AM

Tom, how's it going? Jenny had mentioned going over to your place, but I didn't know it was an open invitation? I would have loved to check that out... Let me know the next time you have a "clinic". :lol:

Cya around,
Rob
Old 12-24-2001, 07:03 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Tom is awesome!!! (RLH)

Hey Rob-

Fire off an email and I'll make sure I have you in my address book.
Still haven't been able to find where you hide that Big Block... I pass by your place quite often... just can't narrow it down.

My offer still stands to re-finish that Mid Year BB aluminum manifold... I'm a waitin' fer ya ta bring it over.

Tom
Old 12-24-2001, 11:07 PM

Tom, man, thanks again for that offer, but she is gone. A man showed up on the doorstep one day with a check and the midyear (manifold and all) drove off in the sunset.... :cry

But, I am still interested in picking your brain. I'll fire off an email so you have mine, but I am REALLY interested in coming over sometime and checking out your garage.

BTW, we have some more toys, you might be interested in checking out. Let me know if you want to stop by and see them.

Later,
Rob

Get notified of new replies

To Tom is awesome!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tom is awesome!!!