C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Install questions??????:)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 05:13 PM
Warp70
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Install questions??????:)

I am about to install my Hooker headers on my SB vette and I noticed that on the left side the lower alternater bracket is screwed into the ram horn. When I install the headers I wont be able to screw that braket back into anything. Question? Is that going to be a problem or is the fact that the bracket is also attached to the water pump already going to be sufficient support for the alternator, along with the upper bracket of course.
Old 12-21-2001, 05:17 PM
Eric 96
Safety Car

Default Re: Header Install questions??????:) (Warp70)

There is an adapter plate you need to buy for your alternator.
Old 12-21-2001, 06:00 PM
Warp70
Racer

Default Re: Header Install questions??????:) (Eric 70)

If you know off hand the specifics, like where I might purchase the adapter plate, cost etc, it would be greatly appreciated. :confused:
Old 12-21-2001, 06:19 PM
jbroughton
Racer

If it's the bracket I'm thinking about, it goes under the 2 bolts for the the front header tube, and is especially designed for this situation. Whoever you purchased the headers from should be able to help you out. In fact, I believe I've seen them at our local Auto Zone, back with the chrome air cleaners and such. I believe it's under $10.

Hope that helps!
Jeff
Old 12-21-2001, 09:15 PM
Eric 96
Safety Car

I bought mine from Summit when I ordered my Headers...but I have seen it at Pep Boys and Auto Zone too. Its actually two pieces, and they go under the Alternator to give it a base to pivot on. You still use the arm that connects to the water pump.
Old 12-21-2001, 10:07 PM
Warp70
Racer

Thank you gentlemen. I just picked up the parts before I knew it was two different pieces, so in other words prior to the last post. At least I now know I bought the right brackets, and their pretty chrome too! :D Thanks for all of you help, now who wants to come to my place and help me install the headers :lol: I'll post pics, when I get the job complete.
Old 12-21-2001, 10:52 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Forget that wimpy header bracket..its garbage. Swap your '70 bracket (that attaches to the exhaust manifold) for the iron alternator bracket from a later model C3 that bolts to the front of the driver side head....works great! I had the same issue with mine.

You can get it through Zip:

<A HREF="http://store.yahoo.com/zipproducts/zip-m-2546.html" TARGET="_blank"> http://store.yahoo.com/zipproducts/zip-m-2546.html</A>

or the good Dr....(he has the best pics...check it out). Its Part A under 72-78 350...
http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/ALTERNAT.PDF

Mark

[Modified by mdsmith, 10:50 PM 12/21/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Header Install questions??????:)

Quick Reply: Header Install questions??????:)