C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine compartment detailing q's

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 12:49 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine compartment detailing q's

I figure why not do the engine since Im waiting on $$ to do suspension. My questions are:

1) Is it dumb to try to do an engine detail with a full tank of gas? Im hoping someone will say "no the fuel stops at the pump and doesn't go any furgethr unless the car is turned on". That way I can replace the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb.

2) Does anyone have a super in-depth wiring diagram they wouldn't mind sending me? I plan to take my harness out from the firewall forward, and fix whatever needs fixin'. Im also taking out my headlight assemblies, and my wiring has short up around the headlights that needs to be fixed anyway.

3) For all of you people that have done it before, how far did you strip the compartment down? did you take out the intake? Also how long did it take you to do the compartment working a couple hours a day? I plan to replace the intake manifold, and the new one will be here about 1-2 weeks after christmas, so Im trying to time it just right.

4) What is lars carb fee? I'd hate to rebuild the engine with a sad, dirty carb. Is there a way I can clean the outside of the carb safely? Its in good working order, but just dirty.

I think thats all my q's for now. Thanks;

Daniel
PS. Im currently on hold while I wait for help to remove the hood.

Old 12-21-2001, 01:04 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: engine compartment detailing q's (daniel77350)

Hey Daniel!

You can replace the gas line fron the carb to pump without draining the tank. Yes - you will get a little gas on your hands but it's just what's in that line.

I took my intake off, blasted it and cleared it. It took a couple weeks to detail the compartment out in spare time. Fiber optics and wiper vacuum took alot of extra time that you will not have to do. Everything that could come off - did. EXCEPT the wiring bulkhead connector. I've been there before and don't want to go back. I left that connected and worked around it. It's reletively easy to unwrap the wiring in sections, test it, and replace the bad stuff. That's assuming no bubba. The assembly manual should have a diagram showing wire colors and the units they connect to.
Old 12-21-2001, 01:44 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: engine compartment detailing q's (daniel77350)

Does anyone have a super in-depth wiring diagram...
Order the Assembly Instruction Manual (AIM) for your year. AIMs have the best wiring diagrams, plus illustrations of how everything comes apart and goes together.
:)

Get notified of new replies

To engine compartment detailing q's

Quick Reply: engine compartment detailing q's