C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best 69 Lemans Blue touch up paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 12:38 PM
jonvolk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best 69 Lemans Blue touch up paint

well the title is pretty much self explanatory but im lookin for a good match to repair 32 years of small chips. whats the best match for 69 Lemans Blue
Old 12-21-2001, 12:45 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: best 69 Lemans Blue touch up paint (jonvolk)

My guess is the only way you will get a match is to have a paint shop mix up a batch (they can do a pint and sometimes a half pint) using a scanner to match your color. Worked for me - They started with my factory color (1968 International Blue) which I was surprised they had in their compuer. Then the program adjusted it slightly to match my actual paint color. Then the paint shop guy lightened it manually (using his own eye comparing it to my car in sunlight) to match my paint which is a lot lighter than the factory color.

Even with new paint there are variations in shade. With old paint, fading will make it impossible (lets say "highly unlikely") to find a jar of touchup paint that will match your paint. MJ
Old 12-21-2001, 06:28 PM
jonstr
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I needed some in a hurry for my '69 for a show and bought a bottle from Mid America. Much to my surprise, it was a really good match.

Later,
Jonstr

[Modified by jonstr, 3:31 PM 12/21/2001]
Old 12-21-2001, 06:33 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just out of curiosity, is your paint a metallic? I'm trying to figure out if my paint is original style color, since I know it was repainted once.

Old 12-21-2001, 08:55 PM
jonstr
Instructor

Default Re: best 69 Lemans Blue touch up paint (rainman69)

Not sure if you're asking me or jonvolk, but mine is faintly metallic. In general I would say it's not, but there is the occasional metal flake in there if I look closely enough (note - this inspection is by flashlight in my garage, it's dark out now and I'll forget about it by morning). Definitely not metallic like my 2002.

Did that actually answer your question? :rolleyes:
Old 12-21-2001, 08:57 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: best 69 Lemans Blue touch up paint (jonstr)

I think the origional paint had a very faint metalic tent to it. When I had mine painted the body man tried to get me to go with a diff color because he said "now you know its not very metalic, you probably won't even notice it unless your looking close"....I thought it was solid to begin with, so that didn't bother me any.

Daniel
Old 12-21-2001, 09:49 PM
jonvolk
Advanced

Default Re: best 69 Lemans Blue touch up paint (daniel77350)

yes, mine is faintly metallic also..
Old 12-21-2001, 11:02 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, kinda like this "faint?" Does this seem to match your LeMans Blue? As you can see, I need a touchup.

:mad

So, I'm trying to match the paint.

[Modified by rainman69, 8:02 PM 12/21/2001]
Old 12-22-2001, 12:47 AM
jonstr
Instructor

Default Re: best 69 Lemans Blue touch up paint (rainman69)

Yep - pretty close. Although yours looks like it has a much higher gloss than mine.
Old 12-22-2001, 08:12 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: best 69 Lemans Blue touch up paint (jonstr)

I agree with MNJ. The only way you will get a match is to go to an auto parts/paint store that has a color scanner. All of the major paint makers have one. Dupont's is called the "Chromacolor" system as I remember. As time passes, paint fades. It can get lighter, or sometimes darker compared to the original "factory" shade. If your brand new car got into a fender bender today, and you took it to a shop, that shop would scan the color for a perfect match. One further problem....is your car painted in original lacquer, repainted in enamel, one stage urethane, or base coat clear coat? Many paint companies don't have the formula's or the materials any more to mix you a pint/half pint of original lacquer. Hope this helps. Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To best 69 Lemans Blue touch up paint

Quick Reply: best 69 Lemans Blue touch up paint