C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Measure Hood Clearance for L88 Hood and cold air box?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 10:48 AM
James
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to Measure Hood Clearance for L88 Hood and cold air box?

According to Ecklers in order to check carb to hood clearance for a L-88 hood you lay a straight edge accross your drip rail area directly over the manifold where the carb sits. They then give you a number of 4 1/8 inches of clearance to the bottom side of the hood. I take that you get the total amount of cleance by measuring up from the bottom of your staight edge 4 1/8 inches and then add the mesurement from the flat area on the manifold to the bottom of the straight edge and this gives you your total clearance. Is this correct way or best way of doing this? Also what kind of clearance do you need to have to make sure the cold air box will seal up. I'm working with a 69 with a big block that is using a Weiand Stealth intake. Manifold is real close to what a stock high rise looks like or the hi-rise the 502 use's.
:cheers:
Old 12-21-2001, 11:48 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: How to Measure Hood Clearance for L88 Hood and cold air box? (James)

Cut two blocks of wood to the height in the Eckler's catalog, 4 1/8". Then stick these blocks on your hood edge drip rails in line with the carb mount. Next, lay a straight edge across the top of the wood blocks. The straight edge is now at the height of your future L88 hood. Just measure down to the manifold to see your clearance.
Old 12-21-2001, 12:30 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How to Measure Hood Clearance for L88 Hood and cold air box? (Flareside)

Thank you very much I can understand that much better.
How do different manifolds play into how the air cleaner mates to cold air box do you know?
Old 12-21-2001, 12:52 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: How to Measure Hood Clearance for L88 Hood and cold air box? (James)

There's a few guys here running the L-88 hood and using the air chamber with a BB. Some that come to mind are Chuck Harmon, Rolling Thunder, Les and SwaveDave. I'm using a SB with carb spacers. Here's how I understand the airbox + carb + intake relationship. The L-88 engine used an intake which was 1.5 inches higher than the stock BB intake. The stock BB intake is 1.5 inches higher than a stock SB intake.

So, I had to raise the carb height about 1 inch using a spacer. My Holley Street Dominator manifold was about 1.5 inches higher than a stock SB intake. You should be very close with the Weiand manifold.

The cooler air will give you a few extra HP too!
Old 12-21-2001, 01:04 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How to Measure Hood Clearance for L88 Hood and cold air box? (1970 Stingray)

Thanks again for the help.
Maybe one of those guys will make a reply.
Thanks.
Old 12-21-2001, 03:11 PM
James
Burning Brakes

I measured it during lunch with the steps above.
I have 5 1/2 inches of clearance between the manifold and the under side
of the L-88 that I want to get according to Ecklers.
Can anyone tell me with 5 1/2 inches of clearance can I use the cold air box with the L-88 air cleaner setup without any problems?
Thanks for the help....

Old 12-22-2001, 09:04 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Stopped in at work to see if anyone had replied to my last question.
Still no replies.
Can anyone help?
:sleep:
Old 12-22-2001, 09:56 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

James,

A Holley carb measures about 5.5 inches tall. This would not give adequate clearance over the carb vents, the highest part. I am not sure that your measurement is right. I have the factory Chevy highrise with 3/4" spacer and still clear the L88 hood. I would be surprised if the Weiand wouln't fit.

Chuck
Old 12-23-2001, 07:51 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How to Measure Hood Clearance for L88 Hood and cold air box? (Chuck Harmon)

Chuck first thing I love the sound of your car on your web-site.
A number of times when I get to work before anyone else I wake up listening to the deep sound of that 427.
Sounds great over my Altec Lansing speakers and sub-woofer but I have to be carefull no one is around.
My Weiand hi-rise looks very close to your GM manifold. I think I will be fine.
The Holley 4150 HP Pro series carb that I'm going to run has the Air Horn shaved off of it just like yours does. I got the measurement by cutting 2 pieces of wood 4 1/8" inches tall like described above, stood them up in the drip rail area of the fenders, and then laid a straight edge accross them above where the carb sits and measured to the flat spot on the manifold where the carb bolts down. This is how I came up with that 5 1/2 inch measurement. Did I do something wrong? I hope to order the hood and cold air box next week if things look like they will work out.
Thanks for the help.

Old 12-23-2001, 08:53 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

James,

Thanks for the compliments! Just to be sure, measure the height of the manifold as it sits in the engine valley. May take more than 2 hands to do; but, use 2 rulers (front and back of engine) hold a straight edge across the rulers at the same measurement (i.e. 5 or six inches) and measure the lengthwise distance to the middle of the manifold flange. The difference is the manifold height. I will measure mine the same way and let you know what its actual height is (I have since forgotten)

If I don't talk to you before, have a very Merry and Blessed Christmas!

Chuck
Old 12-24-2001, 01:05 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

James,
I'd be shocked if you had a clearance problem w/ your set-up. I've got plenty of room w/ the RPM Air-gap intake which, if anything, is a bit taller than your Weiand. The foam ring for the L-88 kit compresses slightly between the bottom of the airbox and the air cleaner base, leaving 1-1 1/2 " to spare. You should be just fine.
Old 12-24-2001, 02:26 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How to Measure Hood Clearance for L88 Hood and cold air box? (Les)

Les,

You are right about the foam ring on the air cleaner base having ~1.5" of squish room; but the clearance I am describing is not between the cold air chamber and the carb, but between the underside of the hood and top of the carb. I agree that there shouldn't be a problem with the Stealth manifold, although I have never handled or measured one. The measured 5.5" between the top manifold flange and the expected bottom side of the hood seemed closer than I expected. My Holley pro-shop carb (5") has the choke tower milled off and is about 1/2" shorter than my 3310 Holley due to shorter air horns. If James' carb is of the 5.5" variety, this would be too close for clearance. If the air horns have an angle cut and/or reduced in height, probably no problem. But I have read that simply cutting air horns can lead to greater problems. Lars or Clem Z. can comment on this more accurately.

I am suspect about the advertised 4.125 hood height. I think it may be conservative. I will re-measure mine using the 4.125 block method, correctly stated by others above, and then measure the actual clearance with putty between the hood and the reference point.

By the way Les, were you at the LeMans series races at Sears Point this fall with your car? I went with a friend of mine in his new C5 and spied what I believe was yours in the Vette coral. Simply Gorgeous! I had been trying to explain to Don what mine was going to look like upon completion and there was yours. He was impressed but moved on to gaze at other C5's, I was transfixed! Same Hood, same color to be. A true inspiration to me just seeing it.

Chuck
Old 12-24-2001, 06:58 AM
Les
Race Director

Default Re: How to Measure Hood Clearance for L88 Hood and cold air box? (Chuck Harmon)

Chuck,
Sorry, I missed the measurement distinction altogether :bb My bad- I'll zip my lip now...
Yes, I was at Sears Point that day & had a blast. Thanks for the compliment- I've been salivating over your Vette & your engine for awhile now. I didn't know you planned to paint it- have you decided where you'll have it done yet?
Old 12-24-2001, 02:20 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

________________________________________ ____________

have you decided where you'll have it done yet?

I have talked to a guy in Santa Clara named Bill White to do the painting. Excellent reputation. He thought he would be able to get to it late October. What month is it today? I would love to have suggestions i.e. the guy who painted yours! Is he reasonably local?

Mine doesn't look too bad in the pictures, Photoshop is a very powerful tool. If I could only fix blems on the car as easily!

Chuck
Old 12-24-2001, 07:38 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Chuck I had a chance to measure the manifold height.
If I lay a straight edge accross the manifold in the front I have a height of
4 3/4 inches and in the rear I have a height of 6 3/8 inches.
As you can tell the manifold has a slight angle to it from rear to front.
When you get a chance could you let me know how this compares to yours.
Thanks again.
Old 12-26-2001, 07:33 PM
Les
Race Director

have you decided where you'll have it done yet?

I have talked to a guy in Santa Clara named Bill White to do the painting. Excellent reputation. He thought he would be able to get to it late October. What month is it today? I would love to have suggestions i.e. the guy who painted yours! Is he reasonably local?

Mine doesn't look too bad in the pictures, Photoshop is a very powerful tool. If I could only fix blems on the car as easily!

Chuck
Chuck,
I didn't want to go into all the details here but I did email you w/ the info. I hope it helps. Get back w/ me if you need more info.
Old 12-26-2001, 09:41 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Les,
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

James,
I hope to also get back out to the garage and make the measurements either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To How to Measure Hood Clearance for L88 Hood and cold air box?

Old 12-27-2001, 09:05 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Quote: ________________________________________ ___________________

If I lay a straight edge accross the manifold in the front I have a height of
4 3/4 inches and in the rear I have a height of 6 3/8 inches.
As you can tell the manifold has a slight angle to it from rear to front.
________________________________________ ___________________

James,

Sorry to take so long getting back to you. It looks like your Stealth manifold is 1/2" higher than my stock L88. I was 4.25" front and 6" at the back of the manifold without the 3/4" spacer. You should be in good shape since I was able to easily clear the hood after adding the spacer to mine. Once you get everything loosely bolted in place, use some putty on the air horns (1st duct tape closed) and slowly lower the hood to check for clearance.

Please keep me posted on your project!

Chuck
Old 12-27-2001, 09:13 PM
1Bad69
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats a cold air box????
Old 12-27-2001, 09:28 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How to Measure Hood Clearance for L88 Hood and cold air box? (1bad69)

The ice chest with your favorite beverage inside! :jester

Chuck

Quick Reply: How to Measure Hood Clearance for L88 Hood and cold air box?