C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are you expecting to find in the oil (filter) of your engine after breaking it in?

Old 12-21-2001, 02:58 AM
MARKUS_P
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What are you expecting to find in the oil (filter) of your engine after breaking it in?

pure motoroil in like new condition ?
Little metal shavings in the oil?
Bearing races? :jester j/k

Sealed up my engine pan draining screw yesterday and found on it (itīs magnetic) two little metal shavings (appr. 1/4 " long)
Is that normal? Engine ran for about 5 minutes in the summer.....

[Modified by MARKUS_P, 12:59 AM 12/21/2001]
Old 12-21-2001, 04:36 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What are you expecting to find in the oil (filter) of your engine after breaking it in?

It all depends!

Is this a complete rebuild? If so then the slivers could be crap that was left over from the assembly and not a result of something happening while it is running, like just the oil washing something out that was just laying there. Usually if there is damage happening due to accelerated wear from the wrong parts or something then you would see lots of metal specks, not two slivers.

Did you do the job yourself? If so then it could be something from your shop that fell into the oil pan or something like that. Most pro shops use vaccum equipment to prevent slivers expelled during resurfacing and machining from getting near an open engine.

I would just change the oil AND FILTER and then see if any more slivers show up.
Old 12-21-2001, 07:44 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: What are you expecting to find in the oil (filter)

hopefully,nothing but oil in the filter and nothing in the pan except oil. at least that's all i had after an engine rebuild last year. can you tell where the chunks came from??? hopefully not piston rings pieces.
Old 12-21-2001, 08:00 AM
MARKUS_P
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What are you expecting to find in the oil (Gary79)

Bought the engine from a german speedshop, they manufactured more than 1000 engines of this type.
They are a racing team making their money by selling racing engines.....
The engine oil is like new, even like new color, only this two chips on the draining screw...
I posted in Summer a thread about a strange noise that occured while the engine ran for the first time, maybe I can find it in the archive.

No, I couldnīt find it...
Anyway, it sounded like a clunk , same sound if youīr hitting something with a metal pipe. CLUNK
It occured two times, then never heared it again....
Have to admit that the engine ran only for about 5 minutes.....

[Modified by MARKUS_P, 4:30 AM 12/24/2001]
Old 12-24-2001, 12:15 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: What are you expecting to find in the oil (MARKUS_P)

Just finished doing this, found oil filter somewhat clogged by break in lube etc. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To What are you expecting to find in the oil (filter) of your engine after breaking it in?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are you expecting to find in the oil (filter) of your engine after breaking it in?