C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those that have purchased C3 replacement urethane bumpers from Ecklers ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 03:15 PM
WOLF ECHO
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default For those that have purchased C3 replacement urethane bumpers from Ecklers ...

... did yours fit properly and, if not, what did you have to do to get them to fit right?

I purchased a set for my '76 and they seem to match up with the body OK except for the rounded areas where the horizontal and vertical edges meet. There's about a 1/4" difference (the body sticks out more than the bumper).

Any suggestions? TIA
Old 12-20-2001, 05:43 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: For those that have purchased C3 replacement urethane bumpers from Ecklers ... (are8see)

........I have the same 1/4 inch (maybe a little less) difference at the same spot you do on my front bumper. After painting though, I hardly noticed it at all. It's really going to be hard to get perfect fits out of any aftermarket or GM NOS panel on these cars. Regards

'74 Turbocharged 350, "MOlested to Perfection," class of '71
Old 12-20-2001, 10:14 PM
curly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: For those that have purchased C3 replacement urethane bumpers from Ecklers ... (are8see)

I've been told being the body is hand made, vette shapes can slightly differ. Soon I will be changing my front & rear with fiberglass. My body and paint man will shape them perfectly.(80-82 bumpers on a 76)
Old 12-21-2001, 02:51 AM
MARKUS_P
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was the reason why I purchased fiberglass. You can easily modify them with glas and resin :yesnod:
For urethan I dunno.....
A how to repair urethan thread was posted a long time ago by lars...
but I wouldn´t reshape the urethan bumper. Because it´s a soft material I can not imagine that this repair would last long.
Mabe you can bend the bumper slightly into place ?
At least, you shouldn´t be too sad, I don´t think that the fitment was perfect when the car was sold originally....
Old 12-21-2001, 10:39 AM
81VETTOM
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

I got a rear one for my 81, needs just a little tweak but the body guys said no problem...
Old 12-21-2001, 12:07 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: For those that have purchased C3 replacement urethane bumpers from Ecklers ... (81VETTOM)

My front one from Ecklers (2 actually) were poor fits just as you described. GM has NOS ones and I bought one for $400 or so. Fit was perfect!
Old 12-21-2001, 12:12 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Default Re: For those that have purchased C3 replacement urethane bumpers from Ecklers ... (Rhys)

I need to replace my front and rear urethane bumpers on my 82. I want to stick with urethane as well, where can I get GM NOS urethane bumpers? Dealer?
Old 12-21-2001, 12:16 PM
Chris@VetteFinders

Default Re: For those that have purchased C3 replacement urethane bumpers from Ecklers ... (Monty)

That was where I got mine: Dealer :crazy:
Old 12-21-2001, 09:32 PM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

Got mine from Ecklers too. Not a bad deal price wise... and the top and bottom seem tight but fit O.K. The problem is on the sides where the bumper actually sticks out about 3\8ths of an inch!
Up close it looks strange but from a few feet back you don't notice. I think there is some room for adjusting it slightly (it's flexible)... but I don't think I'm gonna get a perfect fit unless I go with the fiberglass. Does anybody know if these things can be "shaved" down a bit or are they hollow inside? :confused:
Old 12-21-2001, 10:18 PM
Chris@VetteFinders

Default Re: For those that have purchased C3 replacement urethane bumpers from Ecklers ... (

Yes they are very thin rubber.

Get notified of new replies

To For those that have purchased C3 replacement urethane bumpers from Ecklers ...

Quick Reply: For those that have purchased C3 replacement urethane bumpers from Ecklers ...