C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front bushings

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 02:09 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front bushings

Just a question, but can I drill out my origional front rubber bushings, and put in poly bushings withuot visiting a machine shop at all? Also, I want to go rubber but I just want to buy the front bushings, not the whole kit, so anyone know where i can get just a front end rubber bushing rebuild kit? I don't need any of that idler arm crap either...all I need are the bushings...And I know if I go rubber a machine shop will have to press them in, that is ok with me.

Daniel
Old 12-20-2001, 02:30 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Default Re: front bushings (daniel77350)

This will get you what you want. I live 20 miles south of Ecklers, I dove up a few weeks ago and bought a set of rubber bushings.
P.S. I knocked the old out. and put the new ones in myself.
Bob
http://www.ecklers.com/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=1805
Old 12-20-2001, 02:38 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

you can knock them out yourself and press in with vice as last resort. I did that, a bit of a pain sometimes but doable. :cheers:
Old 12-20-2001, 03:11 PM
BLT-71
Burning Brakes

Default Re: front bushings (LT1driver)

I went the easy way.
The outer sleeve does not get any wear unless the rubber is completely gone or you had damage.
I just drilled out the rubber and left the outer sleeve and replace the inner sleeve and bushing. No muss no fuss.
By the way if you get a hole saw bit for your drill the right size you can remove the rubber in seconds.
As for sources the Dr does carry them individually.
Old 12-20-2001, 03:42 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

NAPA carries the stock rubber bushings, and you can buy them in any combination you want. I use an air chissel to knock the old ones out, and then tap the new ones in using sockets out of a cheap 3/4" drive Taiwanese socket set. You can do the whole operation in your garage without visiting a machine shop - piece of cake.
Old 12-20-2001, 03:47 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: front bushings (lars)

lars - thats what i like to hear. NAPA=no wait for shipping. "tap the new ones in using cheap"...well I can pretty much stop there, on the key word. :jester

Thanks for the tips guys...I'll check around. I like the idea of poly, but I want to be semi-origional, and I hear sqeaky stories about poly..not to mention a stiffer ride(as if its "soft" now)...

Daniel

Get notified of new replies

To front bushings

Quick Reply: front bushings