C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker side pipes and EFI questions.

Old 12-20-2001, 12:45 PM
jimduchek
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker side pipes and EFI questions.

Howdy. Couple questions, first, will Hooker pipes, with such long tubes, lose a lot of high-end power? Second question is, is anyone running Hooker sidepipes with an O2 sensor, if so, how well does it work, where'd you put the O2 sensor, and I'd assume you'd have to go with a heated one? Do the sidepipes interfere with the steering hardware? Not interfere, exactly, but is it difficult to align the car or anything with those tubes there? Do you think the new rack n' pinion conversion would fit with Hooker pipes?

Jim

Old 12-20-2001, 12:53 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Hooker side pipes and EFI questions. (jimduchek)

The Hooker Headers and Sidepipes for Small Block 350 are actually shorter than a regular dual exaust system that runs out the back of the car. The headers are 1 7/8 diameter so if anything you will loose some low end power but make it up in Horsepower at the top end. I am in the process of installing the MSD A/F sensor. The O2 sensor will be mounted in the right header collector. I have to weld in a fitting for it to fit. I beleive the right side is suggested because it runs leaner than the left side but I would have to check my notes on this. Pipes do not interfere with the power steering at all. Have no adverse effect on alignment, and I beleive would work just fine with rack and pinion conversion. Only thing to add is that if you have AC you will need a special bracket. :seeya
Old 12-20-2001, 01:18 PM
jimduchek
Racer

Default Re: Hooker side pipes and EFI questions. (ScubaJKD)

Okay, good. I'm wondering if a heated O2 sensor will be necessary -- the collectors are rather far from the engine. I will probably wrap the headers as far down as cannot be seen from the outside, so it'll be OK... I'm just sitting here debating my options as I need new exhaust and GOSH do I love those pipes.

Jim

Old 12-20-2001, 01:34 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

If I was going to buy them over again I would buy the entire set from Jet Hot Coating. I would not buy Chrome. Finish turns blue as soon as you fire them up. Plus under hood temperature is extremely HOT. Also dont pay the 200.00 for the reverse flow mufflers that go into the sidepipes. Get the JCL spiral baffles. http://www.spiralturbobaffles.com only 100 bucks more and well worth it. Check out the other posts on the subject. This topic has been well covered. Let me know if I can help.

:seeya

PS Until you burn your leg really good your not having fun :lol:

[Modified by ScubaJKD, 11:41 AM 12/20/2001]
Old 12-20-2001, 01:34 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim, I've been researching EFI for my '68, and the people that have wrapped their headers report that it doesn't help noticably in regard to 02 sensor heat in the collector. Actually, it seems that you can't get accurate readings in the collector at all at low rpms, heated sensor or not. Just something to think about...

Get notified of new replies

To Hooker side pipes and EFI questions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hooker side pipes and EFI questions.