C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaded Gas...

Old 12-20-2001, 12:38 PM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leaded Gas...

I was listening to a syndicated radio show out of Charlotte this morning. Some guy wrote in that he had bought leaded gas at four different gas stations in Tennesee. I thought leaded gas was illegal... Anybody know anything about that? I think the guy was in Nashville...
Old 12-20-2001, 01:41 PM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Leaded Gas... (Mack76)

Racing fuel contains lead, maybe he was talking about that.

Being in Nashville, I doubt that he hit a time warp :D Time warps are known to occur in the area encompassing northeastern Tennessee, eastern Kentucky, far western Virginia, and western West Virginia. I been through them a couple times, and it's a scary place :eek: (We don't take no creedit cards 'round here, city boy!) :smash: :crazy:
Old 12-20-2001, 05:28 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Leaded Gas... (thejaf)

...Time warps are known to occur in the area encompassing northeastern Tennessee, eastern Kentucky, far western Virginia, and western West Virginia. I been through them a couple times, and it's a scary place :eek: (We don't take no creedit cards 'round here, city boy!) :smash: :crazy:
Nothing scary about eastern Kentucky. :) :)
Old 12-20-2001, 05:40 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

I saw it in Washington State a couple of years ago. It has something to do with none emmission counties. I was surprized!
Old 12-20-2001, 05:52 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

N one would wish
MORE for leaded gas to be even slightly available anywhere in this country, than ME...BUT... except maybe AV gas.....and on that point I simply don't know...I don't fly.....the simple fact is....it's against federal law...so any stories to the contrary, I would have to ask for a video clip of the gas pump, station phone number with 3 people that can independantly verify leaded gas....and a current newspaper held up to the camera....

GENE
Old 12-20-2001, 06:02 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Leaded Gas...

Gene,

Lots of stations out here with 100+ octane fuel... I can think of three straight away that definitely have leaded fuel (pretty sure that the Sunoco GT fuel that is sold regionally is unleaded - we have a few stations that sell this as well). Sold at anywhere between $3.20 and $3.60 a gallon in this area, the stations that have it do a pretty brisk business... Lots of old muscle cars, street rods and the like out here.

Cam 2 or Turbo Blue... Which pump do you want a photo of? :)

Regards,
Old 12-20-2001, 06:08 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Leaded Gas... (Rowdy Rat)

It MAY be 100 plus octane, maybe....BUT it does NOT contain Tetraethyl LEAD.....bet on it.....so in fact it's still UNleaded gas....

not the price seems right for leaded race gas...but sold on a public street for general transportation use??? I doubt it.....

GENE
Old 12-20-2001, 09:43 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Leaded Gas...

It MAY be 100 plus octane, maybe....BUT it does NOT contain Tetraethyl LEAD.....bet on it.....so in fact it's still UNleaded gas....
Gene,

As I mentioned, the Sunoco GT is listed on the pumps as 100 octane and may in fact be unleaded. I don't know for certain as the stations that sell it are all across town and I don't buy my fuel there. I never paid much attention to the lead content (or lack of it) as a result.

The Turbo Blue and Cam 2 that is available here are leaded gasoline. I am absolutely certain of this. I've been buying the Turbo Blue for years now... I'm pretty sure that there are various grades - this particular stuff is 110 octane. I'd have to check the octane rating on the Cam 2 as I generally don't buy my fuel from these stations either.

I used to buy Turbo Blue at a station in the western part of the state before I moved here, so it can't be just an odd local situation.

Regards,
Old 12-20-2001, 09:48 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Leaded Gas... (mrvette)

There's a small gas station in C-Springs that sells leaded gas. I'll double check, but all the muscle car guys in town know. It's the Farm Crest at Austin Bluffs and Academy.

Supposedly, they have one pump with "regular." :smash:
Old 12-21-2001, 12:21 AM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: Leaded Gas... (Rowdy Rat)

http://www.turboblue.com/products.html

Turbo Blue sure does contain Tetraethyl Lead :yesnod:
Turbo Blue contains Tetraethyl lead and is not legal for use on public thoroughfares
The "not legal on the public thoroughfare" is where they manage to fall within federal rules.

I don't believe any leaded gas is legal for use on the street anywhere in the US.

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Leaded Gas...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaded Gas...