C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, When starting my 454 sometimes the starter will no engage sounds like bolts in a blender

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 12:24 PM
73-454
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, When starting my 454 sometimes the starter will no engage sounds like bolts in a blender

Some times when starting my vette the starter is not engaging the fly wheel and it makes this loud noise like bolts in a blender, The starter was installed the previous owner, looks very new.
Old 12-20-2001, 12:30 PM
Sleestak
Team Owner

My old Blazer did that alot. I got some starter shims from the HELP section of the AutoZone and installed a few and it cleared up. :)
Old 12-20-2001, 12:59 PM
Garys '68
Racer

Default Re: Help, When starting my 454

Loose solenoid. I've seen the bolts loosen and not fully engage the starter gear. Tighten the bolts
-or-
Incorrect allignment of starter. Needs shims. Did you replace it recently? If so, this is most likely cause.
-or-
Worn/broken flywheel ring rear teeth or starter gear teeth
Hope it's not the flywheel, remove the starter and check gear.
my $0.02
Gary
Old 12-20-2001, 01:16 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Help, When starting my 454.....

Make sure that the bolts are correct. All starters use special bolts that have a neuraled section on the shoulder near the head. This centers the bolt in the holes, which alings the starter.
Without these bolts, there is no alingment reference.
I'm not sure where you can buy these - check a Chevy dealer or a corvette parts house.
good luck :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Help, When starting my 454 sometimes the starter will no engage sounds like bolts in a blender

Quick Reply: Help, When starting my 454 sometimes the starter will no engage sounds like bolts in a blender