C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Higher redline Tach face swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 11:11 PM
69L88clone
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Higher redline Tach face swap

Hi All,
My '69 has a tach which has a 5700 redline since it was originally a 427/390.The original engine has been replaced(it's a CE)
&,I've been told, rebuilt to include L88 standards,i.e. mechanical lifters,12.5:1 C.R.,L88 cam,M22,Holley 850 CFM,etc..I located a
vendor who can supply me with a 6500 redline tach face for $50.I'd like to install this new face to more adequately reflect the car's
rebuild.Does anyone see a downside to this?
BTW,is replacing the face an easy job?
Thanks in advance.
Jim :troll :U
Old 12-20-2001, 12:04 AM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Higher redline Tach face swap (69L88clone)

I don't really see a downside, other than it's a PITA to get the tach out of the dash. I believe once it's out, it's just removing the needle, and unscrewing the face from the body of the tach. Taking the dash apart and putting it back together is the hard part. Make sure to drop your steering column at least a few inches in order to get the lower dash pad out without breaking it....it's not very strong. If you have any other problems behind the dash, this would be the time to fix em :smash: .

AC
Old 12-20-2001, 02:43 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A very worthy project! I sure love my L88 clone. I would strongly recommend the Richmond 5 or 6 speed. A stump puller 1st gear makes the car much more fun and drivable and still have a reasonable rpm for cruising.

My new Z is very strong and a wonderful car for daily driving; but, it does not have the grunt of the L88! The sound of the Z at full throttle is musical, the scream of the L88 must be utterly terrifying if you are the car being passed! The acceleration is truly brutal :D

Chuck
Old 12-20-2001, 09:08 AM
69L88clone
Advanced

Default Re: Higher redline Tach face swap (Chuck Harmon)

Chuck nice '69!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love the sound!!!
Jim
Old 12-20-2001, 10:07 AM
Tex71BB
Burning Brakes

Agree with AC. I did my speedo face when I had the interior gutted. Getting the dash on and off is a major pain in the butt (done it 3 times now). I have found the job to be a little easier if you remove the top dash pad - that way you can more easily get to all the connections (headlight switch, etc.). Put in all new bulbs, new speakers, and anything else you can think of so you don't have to pull it off again.

Get notified of new replies

To Higher redline Tach face swap

Quick Reply: Higher redline Tach face swap