C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette will sometimes not crank

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 11:03 PM
Milest
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Vette will sometimes not crank

A couple of times my 72 4-speed will not crank. I have been able to get it to crank when my foot bumps the vent duct that runs under the steering column. Any suggestions on where to look first? The clutch/neutral safety switch seems to be intact and tight.

Thank you and Merry Christmas
Old 12-20-2001, 12:10 AM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Vette will sometimes not crank (Milest)

Your neutral switch might need to be adjusted. Different animal but my Caddy just had this problem. I think if my car had one it would be under the car. if yours is inside this might have slid or worn.
Old 12-20-2001, 03:46 AM
Vettelaw
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Milest,

While English is not my native tongue, I think that 'crank' means 'start upon ignition' If this is not correct, I apologize for the inconvenience . :)
If your engine will not start upon ignition, maybe your starter motor is worn. My '79 had this problem, until I - read: my father - dissambled the starter and rotated the contact thingy. Just a thought.
Old 12-20-2001, 09:31 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Vette will sometimes not crank (Vettelaw)

While English is not my native tongue, ...my father - dissambled the starter and rotated the contact thingy.
English not your native tongue? Yet you have the technical jargon down correctly with "contact thingy". ;) :D Quite impressive.

Gary
Old 12-20-2001, 04:33 PM
MikeE.79
Advanced

There are several things it could be, the neutral switch could be it but it could also be cable conections on the battery or on the starter, it may even be a dead spot on the armature and that would mean a new starter or rebuilt one! :seeya
Old 12-20-2001, 06:32 PM
Milest
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Vette will sometimes not crank (MikeE.79)

Thank you for your suggestions, Is there a way to check the neutral safety switch? It seems odd that it is intermittent and I can get it to start when my foot hits the duct under the dash or by pushing the brake pedal. Starter was replaced last year and the battery terminals are clean (good suggestions, thanks).

Get notified of new replies

To Vette will sometimes not crank

Quick Reply: Vette will sometimes not crank