C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield washer operation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 09:06 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield washer operation?

Hi!

I've decided to take on an easy (LOL) problem tonight. Getting my washers working. After cleaning the internals of the pump I was able to make the unit pump up to the windshield. Hooray!
But the only way I can actuate it is by manually pulling up on the little tab under the selenoid (electro-magnet / windings) where the yellow and blue wires connect. Doing this releases a ratcheting mechanism which in turn operates the little pump.
I know it's supposed to be actuated from the wiper switch by pushing it in. This does nothing. Furthermore, I do get power on both the yellow and blue wires but it is not affected by the switch. AND the seleniod does not activate.
OK - my questions:
- Shouldn't the selenoid activate (pull the plate up) when there is power at both wires?
- Is the push switch problem most likely a bad wire or switch?
- How exactly is the circuit supposed to operate?
- When you push the button do you have to keep holding it for more solvent or do you just push it once and it spits for a certain amount of time?
- Anybody have a diagram of how the mechanical portion of the actuator (selenoid, slider, ratcheting mech) is supposed to work?
Thanks!
Old 12-20-2001, 01:11 AM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Windshield washer operation? (lbell101)

OK - I've torn the whole thing apart. Cleaned it and oiled it.
Now the cycle works fine but I still have to actuate it by hand. Pulling the plate below the selenoid up. This should happen when the button on the dash is pressed.
I checked the selenoid with an ohmeter and it seems fine. It also passes power through when the yellow wire is connected. I was wrong about both wires having power on them. Only the yellow one does and it passes it on to the blue wire through the selenoid.
So now the question becomes...
- What does the blue wire do?
- What makes the selenoid engage? What configuration of power on the wires?

Somebody here must have done this before ?!?!
Help!
Old 12-20-2001, 10:56 AM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Nobody?
Here's some pics of the thing:

When I lift that plate with the wipers on, the washer goes through it's cycle. So I'm assuming that the selenoid is supposed to momentarily pick that up.
The yellow wire always has power when the ignition is on. I'm not sure what the blue wire does. How is that selenoid energized? What power/no power combo at the wires is supposed to pick that plate up?

Ya - I'm persistant :)
Old 12-20-2001, 05:52 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

I don't know of any internal wiring diagrams available for the relay/solenoid itself. Most of us just have a wiring diagram. I can say that when I've had troubles with the washers/wipers, it's been the ground connection. The wiper motor has to be grounded. The switch in the dash also has to be grounded. If your bezel is broken in the "thin" area where many break, your switch might not be grounded, thus the circuit is not completed. Hope this might help. :) If all else fails, you might have to send the entire motor out to a "pro" for a rebuild. Chuck
Old 12-20-2001, 06:18 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Windshield washer operation? (Chuck Gongloff)

The blue wire gets grounded by the wash action of the switch/pushbutton....
so if the wiper controll is not properly grounded....of course it can't work...
the two yellow wires are connected to +12 at all times the car is running....
so if the solenoid is good, it will show voltage at both terminals...but the one that needs grounded to activate solenoid, is the blue one,.....

so it's the wiring, switch, or grounding....

check that pesky bulkhead connector, down under the Master Brake cylinder, where you can't see it....lovely spot....

GENE
Old 12-20-2001, 07:12 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Windshield washer operation? (mrvette)

Thanks Guys!

With the help of forum member Yooperod, I was able to get my hands on another wiper/washer unit today. Installed it and got the same results.
That verified the problem was not in the assembly.
After reading your posts I disconnected everything and wirebrushed all the connections and grounds.
HOOOORAAAYYYYY!!!!!!
It works!!!!
Now I just have to find a pass side arm tube and it will be complete.
Thanks! :D :D :D

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield washer operation?

Quick Reply: Windshield washer operation?