C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone had a flywheel balanced?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 08:02 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Has anyone had a flywheel balanced?

and is this something that a machine shop could do or does it require special equipment. After the holidays I'm going on a crusade to eliminate the vibration that I get after 60 mph. It rattles the shifter and sets up a shake in the car. If I throw the clutch in and let the engine go back to idle it eliminates just about all of it. I'm sure what's left is just the result of 15 year old tires that I should replace. I'd like to start by getting the flywheel and pressure plate balanced and by making sure I have the correct angles on the driveshaft. While I'm at it I might just pull the ratty shifter and put in a Hurst. If anyone has had experience with the flywheel I'd appreciate you views and if anyone knows of a good shop in southern NJ to do the balancing that would be even better.
Old 12-19-2001, 08:09 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone had a flywheel balanced? (vettfixr)

Usually when the motor is balanced this gets balanced with the crank. When my motor was done they had the flywheel and plate to be balanced with the crank. I don't know if just balancing the flywheel will help. Have you had the driveshaft balanced, This took away most of my vibration.
Old 12-19-2001, 08:20 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Has anyone had a flywheel balanced? (Gordonm)

I haven't had the driveshaft balanced but when I rebuilt the engine I had the flywheel surfaced. I'm wondering if this could have caused an imbalance. In any event making sure that everything's balanced including the flywheel and driveshaft shouldn't hurt. I don't think there's a problem with the engine balance because I marked everything and reinstalled all the rods and pistons back in the same positions (checked this three times). I'm really shooting in the dark here because I'm not sure if it's any of these parts. They just seem to be the logical place to start. If I rev the engine up past 3000 rpm it's pretty smooth so it may not be the flywheel but a combination of things.
Old 12-19-2001, 10:10 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I took my flywheel and clutch assembly to a machine shop and had them balanced as an assembly. They mark it after it is balanced so that when you assembly it to the engine you get the clutch and flywheel lined up to the reference marks so it will be in the same position it was when it was balanced. Prevents you from assembling "out of balance"
Cost was approximately $75.00 if i remember correctly.
Old 12-19-2001, 10:46 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone had a flywheel balanced? (ksbunting)

Just remeber if it is an imbalance at a certain rpm it is in the motor. If it is at a certain mph it is driveline imbalance
Old 12-20-2001, 08:55 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Has anyone had a flywheel balanced? (ksbunting)

Thanks Kurt, that's what I needed to know. I'll probably call the machine shop that did the resurfacing and check to see if they can do the balance. I'll make sure I bring the clutch assembly too.
Thanks for the tip Gordon. Before I go through this aggravation I'll take it out for a shakedown cruise and make sure what the exact problem is.
Old 12-20-2001, 09:07 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It is possible to balance your own flywheel at home . I have a mandrel that fit inside the flywheel to hold it, this mandrel has a very small percision bearing in the center. I also have a square piece of iron that clamps to the table or vise with a small protrusion that fits inside the bearing. This is all homemade. Slide a flywheel on it and it will go to the heavy spot. Careful lightening of this spot and eventually the wheel will not show any spot heavier then another. You can do a very good job. I even do offset balance flywheels by knowing the position of the offset and the amount and then adding this weight to a neutral balanced wheel and then rebalancing. I then bolt the clutch on and check the total assembly for balance. I know this sounds like alot of work but it takes a lunch hour to balance any flywheel. I know they are right then.
Old 12-20-2001, 09:19 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Has anyone had a flywheel balanced? (norvalwilhelm)

Thanks Norval, I always wondered if you could do this at home. I always thought you could use a bench top wheel balancer to get it pretty much in the ball park. Someday I might set up a rig but time pressures will probably make me take it to a shop.
Old 12-20-2001, 11:06 AM
Lt1er
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you had it resurfaced they ruined the original balance job. I have not done my own. I just have the shop do it.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone had a flywheel balanced?

Quick Reply: Has anyone had a flywheel balanced?