C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crate motor for "82

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 12:16 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default crate motor for "82

I have read many posts re: crate motors.I have an '82 Ce.Iam thinking about removing my original motor/engine since it's only 200 hp and replacing with something else.PLEASE DON"T refer me to the Injection Vault ,etc.Would someone please tell me in Laymans terms what else I would need to change once I decide to get rid of my original CE engine?Thank you.
tankman :confused:
Old 12-19-2001, 04:05 PM
DEVOUR
6th Gear

Default Re: crate motor for "82 (tankman)

Tankman, I have an 82 that I want to repower. Putting in a crate motor won't be your probem. You run into problems with the computer. Even if you keep the X-fire injection, your chip will no longer be calibrated for the new motor and noone is programming them for the original 82 computer. If you switch to a 7747 computer you will need to modify your wiring harness or make an adapter and have a custom chip made to match the motor specs..

Another option would be to install a crate engine and with a carb or injection system that is competely independent of the original ECM. You may need to keep the original setup to swap back in for inspections though.

I plan to go with a crate motor Vortec heads and intake with a single 650 cfm throttlebody, and I am converting over to the 7747. Our 82's need better airflow, but I don't want to spend the money going to Tuned or Multiport Injection. I believe this will keep me close enough to legal that I won't have to jump through hoops every year.

Good Luck!
Old 12-19-2001, 08:02 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: crate motor for "82 (tankman)

I replaced my 82 motor when it died with an LM-1 crate motor that is rated at 250hp, per most all GM-related websites that sell the engine. Now, I know that with the crossfire ecm and manifold, I may not be getting all 250 horses - 346 ft-lbs torque, BTW - but maybe most of them. I know I can beat any stock 82 easily and can do under 7 seconds in 0-60. So, new basic Goodwrench engine may be way to go. And, some sites sell the LM-1 with upgraded cam and 1.6 rockers for higher HP. Wish I had known that and about what that meant when I replaced mine. But, I was brand new to Vettes and modifying, etc. then.
Old 12-19-2001, 08:25 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Default Re: crate motor for "82 (Larry82)

Just want to say thanks to devour & larry82 for their responses to my post.
tankman :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To crate motor for "82

Quick Reply: crate motor for "82