C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gel coat question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 09:38 PM
dlw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gel coat question

Anybody know when GM started using gel coat in the painting process? One guy told me "always" and another said in the 80's. I thought it was done with the mid-year cars but just couldnt remember for sure. Who wins the bet?
Old 12-18-2001, 09:47 PM
stickben
Instructor

Default Re: Gel coat question (dlw)

Ive heard that it was used earlier in corvette history (50's-60's), but, due to advances in paint technology, was not used later (early to mid 70's to present). But ive heard several different stories.
Old 12-18-2001, 10:04 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

I've owned a 71 and an 84. Neither had gelcoat. I helped strip a 62 and it did not have any gelcoat. I REALLY doubt that GM ever used gelcoat on any Vette. There just simply would not be any reason to use it and then paint over it. The whole purpose of it is to produce a final finish with no paint - like a boat. Sure you can use it as a fill primer but is it really any different than using any other high build catalyzed polyester primer.
Old 12-18-2001, 10:23 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Gel coat question (lbell101)

Gel coat is non filled polyester resin. Its primary purpose is to be sprayed into the mold for the part to begin layup. By doing it this way the part comes out smooth. On boats its just as easy to make this the "paint" Since it does away with a production step and is supposed to be more durable.

One thing I've wondered is if the body was layed up like a boat hull using kevlar or at least cloth how much thinner and lighter would it be? A foam core would be an interesting weight saver too.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:15 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Gel coat question (Techno)

I hand stripped my 66 and had to "re-gelcoat" the body in places where fiberglass strands were sticking up. No amount of primer would keep those little suckers from sticking up. There must have been some sort of coating on the early Vettes. Otherwise, they would all have been like rolling Brillo Pads.
Old 12-19-2001, 10:43 PM
dlw
Racer

When we stripped my 70, it didnt appear to have anything but paint on it, but it had been repainted once before. :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To Gel coat question

Quick Reply: Gel coat question