C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Car Wash Chain Using Acid

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 01:11 PM
c5ride2004
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Car Wash Chain Using Acid

This was on the local news last night, and here is the article on their site. I do not use car washes with any kind of brushes what so ever, but the touchless one I use, does not use this chemical. Interesting stuff.

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=8359144

Kris
Old 05-21-2008, 01:27 PM
ATC
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Thanks

Thank you. I live around Indy also, and though I don't ever use Mike's for my cars, my wife does. (or did)
Old 05-21-2008, 01:29 PM
c5ride2004
Instructor

Exactly, my girlfriend uses Mikes all the time for her Liberty, no more.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:54 PM
gsport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow... interesting reading, thank you
Old 05-21-2008, 02:00 PM
allred
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Holy Crap!!!!!!!! Hydroflrouric Acid is really, really scary stuff. I used to work on oil refineries, and they use it there to increase the octane rating of gasoline. (since the introduction of unleaded gasoline). hydrofluoric acid is commonly used in refinery alkylation processes to produce a high-octane gasoline blending component called alkylate from FCCU C3 and C4 olefins and isobutane.

We had to wear fully enclosed "space suits" with either back-pack breathing apparatus, or remote air tube feed for longer periods of work, whenever we were on the Hydroflouric Acid plant. Believe me, the extra pay for working near that stuff was not worth it!!!!

"The HF penetrates through your skin and into your tissue, works down to the bone and attacks the bone, turning it into calcium fluoride. More importantly, it gets into your blood stream, sequestering all the calcium in your blood, and that will stop your heart,"

At the refineries it is in its pure form, whereas in applications like car washes it will be in an extremely diluted form, but nevertheless still scary, scary stuff.

Last edited by allred; 05-21-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:10 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Hydrofluoric acid is one of the few that will etch glass...
It is nastry stuff...
Old 05-21-2008, 02:19 PM
BigButtLover
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 229 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:24 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allred

At the refineries it is in its pure form, whereas in applications like car washes it will be in an extremely diluted form, but nevertheless still scary, scary stuff.
In the olden days, we used it in a few experiments in college chemistry. No protection of any kind, just a warning to keep it off your skin and clothes. We never had eye protection, gloves or anything. I guess I'm lucky to be alive.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:37 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it's a good thing I stay away from automatic car washes.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:40 PM
allred
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mforman42
In the olden days, we used it in a few experiments in college chemistry. No protection of any kind, just a warning to keep it off your skin and clothes. We never had eye protection, gloves or anything. I guess I'm lucky to be alive.
You got that right!!!!!!!!

Once I had ONE VERY SMALL DROP fall on my glove from an overhead leak when I wasn't in my space suit. I ripped the glove off immediately, but the acid had soaked though just enough to leave a moist spot on my finger. I treated it with the special cream they supplied us with but it still hurt like hell for the next 3 days, and the pain didn't go away for 3 weeks!
Old 05-21-2008, 02:52 PM
paz
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have worked extensively with HF. I use this acid to dissolve rocks to concentrate the organic particles. It will dissolve quartz, but it does very little damage to organic compounds (i.e. dead organics, people excluded). It is not to be toyed with. While most MDS sheets are written for tanker loads of the concentrated stuff, a small amount of concentrated HF can be lethal. The girl in the story is lucky to have only lost two fingers at the knuckle, because the HF gets into the tissue does damages and moves on. I read that after it destroys tissue it can revert back to HF and do more damage (probably reverting to something other than HF but nonetheless still capable of continued damage). I did get an HF burn to my thumb once. I was wearing gloves and the glove had a hole in the thumb. I soaked my thumb in calcium gluconate (I think, it was 25 yrs ago) for 2 days. It was dark red and sore, but never turned black. I still have it - I'm using it right now. Never wore gloves again while using HF. Without gloves I could tell when a drop got on my hand, then I could wash it off within seconds - no ill effects, no burns. It probably better to just get a new set of gloves.
HF used to be a key ingredient in CLR rust/scale remover. I bet it works wonders on hard water spots.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:58 PM
c1vettes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mforman42
Since I think I am a contemporary of yours, you were probably working with HCL. None the less, neither is anything to fool with.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:01 PM
paz
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just noticed the top picture shows the HF barrel - that's the potent stuff 48-50% HF. HF is a gas that is dissolved in water so that about as concentrated as it gets. The owner says he diluted the acid. If you go back to high school chemistry class you may remember about diluting acids. Add 10 parts water to a strong acid and what do you get? Ten times as much strong acid! If you dilute a pH 1 acid with 10 parts water you get ten times as much pH2 acid - which is still very strong acid. PH is a log scale.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:02 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

made me sick to read the story.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:17 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by allred
You got that right!!!!!!!!

Once I had ONE VERY SMALL DROP fall on my glove from an overhead leak when I wasn't in my space suit. I ripped the glove off immediately, but the acid had soaked though just enough to leave a moist spot on my finger. I treated it with the special cream they supplied us with but it still hurt like hell for the next 3 days, and the pain didn't go away for 3 weeks!
That "special cream" is Calcium Gluconate. It will neutralized the effects of HF on your skin but is not to be used as an eye irrigation or ingested HF remedy. We use a 2.5% gel here in our saftey kit. We cut 48-51% HF to 200 ppm thus using all the saftey precautions (MSDS) mentioned above by others. Oh, and I can believe the story of that car wash employee losing her finger. The same almost happened to me cleaning glassware in a lab many years ago when I was just out of high school (and stupid!). The concentrated HF penatrated the non-approved latex glove (must be neoprene) to my right index finger which had a hang nail. Within 3 hours the pain was unbearable and could only be relieved by immersion in ice cold water. 8 hours later in the doctors office they received a liquid form of the above calcium gluconate and it was injected directly into my finger "1/2 inch" all around the nail "without novocaine" . The pain immediately stopped and the doctor informed me to expect the lose of my finger nail (which happened) and to report back if my finger turned black as it might then need amputation! Fortunitily I still have that digit.

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 05-21-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:21 PM
degaux
Drifting

Old 05-21-2008, 03:28 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c1vettes
Since I think I am a contemporary of yours, you were probably working with HCL. None the less, neither is anything to fool with.
No, was HFl. Not nearly as dangerous as the cyanide we used to check for the presence of copper in unknowns, though.

Get notified of new replies

To Big Car Wash Chain Using Acid

Old 05-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the trick to any touchless car wash - acids. If you've ever wondered how a car wash could clean your car without any cloths or brushes touching it - acids that melt dirt.

If you look at older aluminum wheels and you see where the clear coat is peeling off, especially around the wheel weights, that is where the acid didn't get rinsed off. It tends to puddle under the wheel weights.

Another good clue the car wash uses acid is look at the street right at the exit drive. If it is riddled with potholes right there at the exit, the acid dripping off the cars is eating the pavement. The car wash will probably have concrete going out their drive, so their stuff doesn't melt.

We had a car wash near me the city shut down because they were constantly damaging the street, then when the city found out there was also acid going down the sewer drains, the closed sign went up.

If the concentrations are kept perfect, nobody generally sees any problems. Get just the slightest bit too strong, and everything it contacts melts.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:36 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rws.1
Hydrofluoric acid is one of the few that will etch glass...
It is nastry stuff...
Nastry, indeed.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:57 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

HF is used in the semiconductor industry to make transistors from silicon

Quick Reply: Big Car Wash Chain Using Acid