C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a radiator, How much and what kind aluminum??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 04:56 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a radiator, How much and what kind aluminum??

My radiator (tank and core) is shot in my 69. Puttin in a 383 currently. what kind of radiator is good (aluminum) and how much are they?? where is best to get them??

thanx :flag
Old 12-18-2001, 06:37 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Default Re: Need a radiator, How much and what kind aluminum?? (Clink69)

I might be a little bias, ok a lot bias... but I think we're (dewitts) the best. We make the original GM aluminum radiators from 60-72 and offer Griffin aluminum radiators for all years. Spal fan and kits too! Assuming you have the original small block core support, and you are set up with the "non surge tank" car, I would recommend the Griffiin 6570 model. This radiator has a 26" core and works great with the spal 24.5" dual fans if desired. Check out www.dewitts.com as we are a supporting fendor. Call me to discuss your needs. td
Old 12-18-2001, 09:30 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with Be Cool and am very pleased with the quality and installation. I bought the specific one they recommended as an exact replacement fit. I am sure you could save alot of money and go with the generic fit. Just spec out measurements and have a good game plan for installation. When I replaced mine I realized my core support was rusted at the bottom. Pretty common problem. Went ahead and replaced core support with new supports and mounting hardware. Price tag got up there pretty quick. :seeya
Old 12-18-2001, 09:42 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as an alternative, do search on 'griffin' and you will see a lot of recent discussion about the generic fit radiators.

Chris
Old 12-18-2001, 10:42 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 522 Likes on 352 Posts

Default Re: Need a radiator, How much and what kind aluminum?? (71roadster)

I'll go with Bryan and endorse the BeCool. Excellent fit.

The L-48 would start to overheat cruising at 65 mph in 70 degree WA weather even with a recored stock radiator. Swapped to the BeCool and dual Spal fans (other mods to come). Drove cross country this past July. Cruised at 75 mph, 100+ degrees in KS,MO, never broke 200 with a 180 thermostat. In fact, the fans would not come on until the car slowed down and there was less airflow.

Like Bryan said, you get what you pay for. For me radiator, $500; fans, $250; brackets, wiring, misc ~$150; peace of mind; PRICELESS.
I would recommend the BeCool or Griffin, both are excellent products.

[Modified by SteveG75, 8:45 PM 12/18/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Need a radiator, How much and what kind aluminum??

Quick Reply: Need a radiator, How much and what kind aluminum??