C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking timing

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 04:56 PM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Checking timing

I just got an inductive timing light from sears. Can I check the advanced timing with it? If so, How?
I think after you set initial timing you could probably plug in the vacum hose and recheck it that way. Is that correct or do yo need an advanced timing light?
Old 12-18-2001, 04:58 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Checking timing (scottw)

I'd use a timing tape. Same result, and way cheaper
Old 12-18-2001, 05:15 PM
69classchass
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO ..Digital Timing lights for dialing in full advance curves make tuning a GM motor fun and Very easy.
I Had installed MSD ignition and Dist. and got an Innova which made my life much easier when dialing it in.
Be sure to understand about how and why to plug the vacuum system before starting to time your motor.
Tom
Old 12-18-2001, 06:08 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Checking timing (Rhys)

If you have the 'dial back to zero' timing light then you just turn the dial to get the timing.
Otherwise you guestimate or use the tape.
Plugging in the vacuum advance can, will/may change the timing and then that can be read.
With care and intestinal fortitude you can also advance the RPMs in increments and record the value, both with vacuum advance and without. This will give you your timing curve.
Old 12-18-2001, 09:52 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: Checking timing (Techno)

Hey Scott,
Is the timing light adjustable? Pick a day and bring it by the house and let me check it out. I would really like to see your roadster!! Give you a hand on anything you need to do to it also. I pretty much got anything you might need if you want use it anytime. Give me a call or e-mail me.
Nomad2day@Charter.net 552-3179
Neil in Tenn
Old 12-18-2001, 09:57 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you just want to set total timing to one particular number, i.e., 36º or whatever, and you don't have a dial-back light you can measure your damper and make a mark on it at that point. Figuring where a 36º mark would go is easy because it's 1/10th of the total circumference from the 0º mark. With the vacuum advance disconnected, rev the engine until the timing stops advancing and line up the new total timing mark just as you you would any other mark.
Old 12-18-2001, 09:58 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Checking timing (Vetterodder)

the sears adjustable timing light for $59 bux is all you need.....

it has a small dial on it./.

Old 12-18-2001, 10:43 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Go to http://www.corvettefaq.com and get copies of Lars' articles on how to set timing for performance and how to time an HEI. Great info and a cheap performance improvement.
Old 12-18-2001, 10:54 PM
Warp70
Racer

Default Re: Checking timing (SteveG75)

I have to agree with steveg75 on the articles by lars being great, but I have to admit I am still clueless on how to set my timing. It's way off for sure and my 305 harmonic balance on my 350 engine makes a timing light useless. I have almost given up hope since I have taken it in to a shop and they could not get the job done either. I will probably have to take it to another shop and have it set, and the carb adjusted. I'm good with nuts, bolts and screws, but anything that takes special equipment or know how just leaves me scratching my head. :(
Old 12-18-2001, 11:03 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Checking timing (Warp70)

If you want to set your timing all you need is your wrench and keys.
Advance it and try it. floor it. If it pings back off and if not advance it. Back it off slightly from a pinging and this is the best timing. The book number is a little out of date if you've changed something like a cam and with the different fuels we have today. Hot days can affect it also. You can run more advance without pinging on a cold day than a hot. So if you do it when its 50* out it might ping when it gets to 80*.
A light would be nice so you knew how much you actually were turning it but isn't required.

If you have a high compression engine the book value and thus the timing light wouldn't do a lot of good. No more high octane gas!
Old 12-18-2001, 11:24 PM
Warp70
Racer

Default Re: Checking timing (Techno)

Excuse me for asking but what do you mean by advance it???? What do I need the wrench for???

Get notified of new replies

To Checking timing

Quick Reply: Checking timing