C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

griffin is HUGE. Will cap clear?

Old 12-18-2001, 02:20 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default griffin is HUGE. Will cap clear?

My 19X31 griffin aluminum generic radiator arrived and it is friggin HUGE. It looks like the mount for the cap is a little high and may interfere with the hood. Somebody please tell me this will fit? I checked a stock radiator of the same size and that section is angled down to make room for the cap. If the cap wont clear, I will have the mount removed and a plug welded in.

It definitely looks like it will keep the car running cool tho and after quick polish on the end tanks and top cap should look pretty too!
Old 12-18-2001, 04:12 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: griffin is HUGE. Will cap clear? (71roadster)

I believe forum member SmokedTires aka Mikeo did the same thing as you and had no clearance issues.
Are you going to use electric fans? If not I would bet that the fan shroud will become an issue.
Let us know how it goes, I'm lookin to get the same rad.

Stew
Old 12-18-2001, 04:35 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

71Roadster, that was a concern of mine too when I got the radiator, but I didn't end up having any problem with the cap & hood. I ordered the cap with the radiator. I'd show you some pics of it installed if photopoint was working :( .
Old 12-18-2001, 04:58 PM
EricU
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default griffin is HUGE. Will cap clear?

I need a new radiator as I am about to drop in my crate motor (small block) into my 69. How does that generic radiator mount up? Are you use the factory mounting? I am not even sure how mine is installed as I just got this car a few months ago and have been trying to finish the suspension.

Also what about the hoses?

Could one of you guys post some pics?

Where did you get the radiator? X-mas is here and my wife needs to get me something other than a sweatshirt that doesn't fit.

Thanks, Eric.

[Modified by EricU, 1:00 PM 12/18/2001]
Old 12-18-2001, 07:11 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Default Direct fit (custom) Griffin radiators

Guys, I know the "universal" radiators are cheaper, and if you really want to go that route, call me. I buy $$$$$ of Griffins and can save you money, however I believe the best way to go is the direct fit models. The factory radiator is 26.2" x 18.5". The universal is a little taller, the connections are not configured right, and custom hoses might be required. I don't know about anybody else but my most valuable item is my TIME. If it takes hours to adapt the radiator, hoses, and/or mounting to get it to fit you may not be saving anything. Check out the picture of the Griffin model, they fit like a glove. Right down to the little dent in the lower tube connection. This radiator is also the perfect fit for the spal dual 11's. Hope this helps someone. td

www.dewitts.com/pages/productdetail.asp?ProdID=252

[Modified by Tom DeWitt, 5:21 PM 12/18/2001]
Old 12-18-2001, 08:51 PM
Corvettes White
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Not a direct answer to our question; but some hoods have a relief for the rad cap and some do not. (Of course I have the hood that has not, and that is how I know.)

George
Old 12-18-2001, 09:15 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: griffin is HUGE. Will cap clear? (999)

I'll try to add a couple links to pics of the radiator mounted in the car.
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/mik...ans_in_car.jpg
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/mik...engine_bay.jpg

Hopefully these will work (warning they may be large pics which is why I didn't post them).
Old 12-20-2001, 08:33 PM
EricU
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Direct fit (custom) Griffin radiators

Tom,

I had wrote you before asking about a new radiator for my 69 vette, (4-speed, non A.C.) car and you needed to know if it had a puke tank or not. Well last night we pulled the engine getting ready for the new Fast Burn 385hp crate motor, and the car currently does have a puke tank.

So, what radiator do I need (direct replacement), I would like the most efficient radiator that I can fit in it, what are my options? How much including shipping to Nor Cal. And what about those twin electric fans? Do they come with the relays and necessary sender/wiring?

Anybody have any comments on the Griffin radiators?

Thanks! Merry X-mas, Eric.

[Modified by EricU, 4:35 PM 12/20/2001]
Old 12-23-2001, 12:57 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Comment About Griffin "NASCAR" Universial Replacement Radiator

Hello all:

I just did go through the replacement of the stock radiator to the 31x19 Griffin NASCAR radiator that I ordered from Summit Racing. SO MANY PROBLEMS WITH THE FIT!!!!

I had help from Smokedtires and Nastee383 in getting the correct hoses and contemplating how the Flexalite fans would fit.

I can't speak to how a "direct fit" would actually fit but I can tell you the problems with the universial fit...

Trans cooler fitting not stock size... smaller - need to fabricate smaller flared end tubes!

Flexilite fans too wide (or radiator too narrow) - had to radically cut vertical edges of fan frame to flush fit fan to radiator.

Had to notch edge of fan frame to allow enough room for lower hose to slip on outlet and clear fan frame.

Had to re-drill upper radiator suports to clear the cap on the right side and clamp the tank on the left.

Had to add rubber on the lower mounts to keep the stock supports from rubbing the aluminum tanks of the new radiator.

Had to change the length of the transmission cooling line rubber section to meet the Griffin's cooling fitting locations.

WOW - that was a lot of work and I have butchered the Flexilite to fit the radiator - a one way trip as this is a custom fit situation.

I paid $375 for the universial fit... I recall that the direct fit would have been about $500 - pay it- I can report it must be worth it!

and I just thought of another thing...??? I hope the stock cool air induction plastic body will slip through the radiator frame with the different radiator! Could be more plastic butchering involved!
Old 12-24-2001, 04:56 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Comment About Griffin "NASCAR" Universial Replacement Radiator (Carl in LA)

.....thanks Carl in LA. I'm getting ready to do a radiator swap and think I'll stay away from the "universal fits," as you suggest. If it makes you feel any better, I wouldn't be surprised if I get hassled just as much as you going the "direct-fit" route! Seasons greetings and nice meeting you on the forum.

'74 Turbocharged 350, "Molested to Perfection," class of '71
Old 12-25-2001, 02:32 AM
Matt M
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Comment About Griffin "NASCAR" Universial Replacement Radiator (Shutdown1)

I installed the universal Griffin without a trans cooler.($180) And it works extremely well! However, it was a real pain in the butt to install. I had to cut off the lower hose connector and weld on a custom pipe. I had to cut off the upper connector and weld in a threaded flange for a 45 degree fitting to be installed. I used a 69 Camaro upper hose. I love the radiator, but unless you have a full shop with a welder and compressed air to pressure test it if you have to weld on it, then it might not be worth it.

Matt

Get notified of new replies

To griffin is HUGE. Will cap clear?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: griffin is HUGE. Will cap clear?