C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rail covers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 10:14 AM
photoguy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default rail covers?

I am thinking of painting my rail covers myself. Have any of you done this? If so, do I need a heat resistant paint or will Krylon do the trick?

Thanks guys.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:00 AM
photoguy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 05-17-2008, 11:35 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Krylon's just fine . . .and you may want to use an adhesion promoter in addition to primer. Some have scuffed them up first, others have sanded them smooth.

There have been quite a few detailed posts with pictures and paint brands over the past few months - you can probably find them using the search function within the "general" forum for more details.

Good luck -
Old 05-17-2008, 12:30 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Make sure to use paint for plastic....Krylon Fusion for plastic, Rust Oleum Plastic paint etc....the heat is not a problem. Clean the parts well with a good solvent.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:49 PM
MADinAK
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14

I just finished mine last week. I first sanded them with 220 grit to get them to where they were fairly smooth. Also they were yellow when I started - bought off the forum here. After sanding, I washed them several times to get all the dirt and crap off. I then primered them with two coats of grey primer, followed by 3 coats of Machine Silver Metalic (also know as Light Tarnished Metalic). I then put on three coats of clear coat and installed my acryllic letters which I bought from Zips. I still need to polish them out but I needed to get them off my workbench before they got scratched. I've only had them on a week so not sure how they will hold up to the heat. I used a rattle can for everything. The Machine Silver Metallic I bought from our local Carquest Auto Parts store. They mixed it up and put it in a rattle can while I waited. It's an easy project but take your time.

Good luck with yours.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Salt
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great question, I've been wondering the same thing, MAD. thanks for showing your FRC's they look great, I'll be doing mine soon thanks for the details, Salt
Old 05-17-2008, 04:18 PM
C6Rocks!
Instructor

Originally Posted by photoguy
I am thinking of painting my rail covers myself. Have any of you done this? If so, do I need a heat resistant paint or will Krylon do the trick?

Thanks guys.
Me too - Anyone have a link for a thorough step by step process? All I get when I search are threads which are very vague and I really want to do it right. A friend tried it and it chipped all over and now is a complete mess!

(One more thing - if I screw up, whats the easiest and best way to get the paint off?)
Old 05-17-2008, 04:29 PM
MADinAK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Salt
Great question, I've been wondering the same thing, MAD. thanks for showing your FRC's they look great, I'll be doing mine soon thanks for the details, Salt
I forgot one thing.....I used a tack cloth between every coat. Also, if anything like a speck of dust got caught in the wet paint I used some 2000 grit (after it dried) and very lightly sanded to get it out before I sprayed another coat. I did this in my garage so it wasn't exactly a professional paint environment. I had none of the so called "orange peel' after spraying the paint - it all came from the clear coat. I'll rub them out with 2000 and then polish them up soon. I have some Turtle Wax Swirl and Scratch Remover that does a great job after light sanding. Go easy with the sanding or you'll be into the paint before you know it. I found this out when I painted my CHMSL housing and door handles to match my comp grey wheels.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:30 PM
MADinAK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C6Rocks!
Me too - Anyone have a link for a thorough step by step process? All I get when I search are threads which are very vague and I really want to do it right. A friend tried it and it chipped all over and now is a complete mess!

(One more thing - if I screw up, whats the easiest and best way to get the paint off?)
I use 220 grit sand paper to fix any mistakes.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:33 PM
C6Rocks!
Instructor

Originally Posted by MADinAK
I forgot one thing.....I used a tack cloth between every coat. Also, if anything like a speck of dust got caught in the wet paint I used some 2000 grit (after it dried) and very lightly sanded to get it out before I sprayed another coat. I did this in my garage so it wasn't exactly a professional paint environment. I had none of the so called "orange peel' after spraying the paint - it all came from the clear coat. I'll rub them out with 2000 and then polish them up soon. I have some Turtle Wax Swirl and Scratch Remover that does a great job after light sanding. Go easy with the sanding or you'll be into the paint before you know it. I found this out when I painted my CHMSL housing and door handles to match my comp grey wheels.
After each time you sanded, what did you use to clean the dust with? JUST the cloth or did you also use a solvent or liquid of some kind...?
Old 05-17-2008, 04:34 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MADinAK
I just finished mine last week. I first sanded them with 220 grit to get them to where they were fairly smooth. Also they were yellow when I started - bought off the forum here. After sanding, I washed them several times to get all the dirt and crap off. I then primered them with two coats of grey primer, followed by 3 coats of Machine Silver Metalic (also know as Light Tarnished Metalic). I then put on three coats of clear coat and installed my acryllic letters which I bought from Zips. I still need to polish them out but I needed to get them off my workbench before they got scratched. I've only had them on a week so not sure how they will hold up to the heat. I used a rattle can for everything. The Machine Silver Metallic I bought from our local Carquest Auto Parts store. They mixed it up and put it in a rattle can while I waited. It's an easy project but take your time.

Good luck with yours.

Looks great.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:00 PM
MADinAK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C6Rocks!
After each time you sanded, what did you use to clean the dust with? JUST the cloth or did you also use a solvent or liquid of some kind...?
I only sanded between coats if I saw a piece of dirt or something in the paint. I'm talking about a very small speck and I only sanded the small speck. A couple times back and forth with the 2000 grit made it disappear. I then ran the tack cloth over it lightly.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:01 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

They look just great and I think they will hold up well because you were very attentive to detail. Let the engine heat bake them for a couple of weeks before color sanding and polishing. Wet 2000 grit should work great for getting rid of the orange peel....just don't overdo it...a little orange peel on an FRC isn't going to be noticeable anyway...
Nice job!!
Old 05-18-2008, 01:14 AM
MADinAK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cclive
They look just great and I think they will hold up well because you were very attentive to detail. Let the engine heat bake them for a couple of weeks before color sanding and polishing. Wet 2000 grit should work great for getting rid of the orange peel....just don't overdo it...a little orange peel on an FRC isn't going to be noticeable anyway...
Nice job!!
I felt them the first time after taking it out for a drive and they were very warm. My thoughts at the time were this is a good thing as it will allow everything to thoroughly dry before sanding. I think I'll wait another week and lightly touch them up with the 2000.

It sure does **** you off though to have a nice paint job and everything is perfect until you put on the clear coat. The orange peel appears right before your eyes.

I'm no expert at this but am learning through trial and error and having fun doing it at the same time. If it doesn't look good the first time a little sand paper fixes the mistakes.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:05 PM
C6Rocks!
Instructor

Where did the "How to" section go? This kinda info would be great to have. I'd really like to see a step by step set of instructions...
Old 05-18-2008, 06:41 PM
daveboy
Instructor

Krylon worked for me. Cleaned the FRCs with soap and water, then alcohol. No sanding, no priming. Just shot the paint on in several thin coats. Then I applied vinyl letters. Applying the letters was the hard part.

daveboy

Old 01-28-2018, 10:58 AM
Mike Raines
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kroylon Paint for rail covers

[QUOTE=CQRT;1565500734]Krylon's just fine . . .and you may want to use an adhesion promoter in addition to primer. Some have scuffed them up first, others have sanded them smooth.

What is the right color for Torch Red?
Krytrons?

Get notified of new replies

To rail covers?

Old 01-28-2018, 11:27 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,089 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Mike Raines

Krytrons?
Not Krytrons ...

It's 'Krylon'

'Krylon' is a brand name of canned spray paint

Krylon brand 'Fusion' (for painting plastic) color chart:

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 01-28-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:45 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

I recently did my radiator top shroud and fuse box cover. I purchased body color paint from the local automotive paint store with a can of plastic adhesion promoter.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:54 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Not Krytrons ...

It's 'Krylon'

'Krylon' is a brand name of canned spray paint
Isnt' "Krytons" some sort of weird space aliens with three eyes or sumpin'?

FWIW: Whoever is doing this, you don't need an exact match to the body color. If it's close, nobody will be able to tell.

Quick Reply: rail covers?