C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck seat belt problem ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 09:04 AM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stuck seat belt problem ??

Hey Guy`s
If you look at my web site link you can see my car was wrecked before I saved it from the crusher. I am having a stuck seatbelt issue though, I think it may be from the wreck the belt is approx 1/3 out but locked. (drivers) I assume the previous owner had it on when the wreck happened. Is there away to unlock it? Or will I have to replace that Belt :cry
All responces are appreciated.
Thanks Bob
Old 12-18-2001, 11:12 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Stuck seat belt problem ?? (76 Red)

My passenger side belt was like that when I got the car. I took out both retractors (under seat and behind seat) and found "crud" in the one that was under the seat. I'll bet it's the one under the seat, mine was rusty on the bottom from water getting in. The one behind the seat was pretty clean.
Old 12-18-2001, 11:35 AM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Default Re: Stuck seat belt problem ?? (KenSny)

Thanks KenSny
I will check that on mine.
Bob
Old 12-18-2001, 11:48 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

If you have to take it apart, be careful of the plastic cover over the spring, it can become brittle after 25+ years. I actually got the belt pulled all the way out and then used air pressure to blow out all the crap. Put a little oil on the moving parts and works like new.
Old 12-18-2001, 01:36 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Over the years mine has stuck. to open it - spray it down with WD-40 or something like that. get a bright small flashlight and you will see how the tab is not pushing enough (look at the open one and see how it works!)

With a narrow butter type knife you can pop them open. Just keep them lubed in the future
Old 12-18-2001, 02:23 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you have the whole assembly out of the car, you can extend the belt and harness, and clamp the fabric with a tiny C-clamp so it won't retract. Clean up the metal retractors with a dremmel, and scrub or soak the fabric in a sink with CLR, Bleach, (or whatever you think will clean), with the retractors hanging outside the sink. Lube up the retractors when the fabric is dry. I scrubbed and soaked 24 yrs worth of rust and grease off my belts, and they look and work like new. Hope I helped you some...Good Luck :cheers: :cheers:
Old 12-18-2001, 02:57 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Default Re: Stuck seat belt problem ?? (Silvr77)

Thanks guy`s
I am going to work on that belt till I get it free. I thought it auto locked during the crash and would need to be replaced. Your advice makes me smile. :)
Thanks
Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Stuck seat belt problem ??

Quick Reply: Stuck seat belt problem ??