C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Chargers

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 04:46 AM
Fiero To Vette
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Chargers

Ok I have a fiero right now. Its a gorgeous car and handles like no other but I have always wanted a vette. So in April I will have enough cash to buy a vette I am looking for about a '79. My question is how do I go about super charging a small or a big block vette without having a huge blower sticking out of my hood. Or would a turbo be better.
Old 12-18-2001, 08:21 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: Super Chargers (Fiero To Vette)

A turbo is just about always better from a power perspective. A centrifugal belt-driven supercharger can be mounted to a 'Vette. And there are positive displacement superchargers in the under 200ci or so range that will easily fit under an L-88 hood.

You should try the 'Vette without the power adder first to see if you really need or want a boosted engine.
Old 12-18-2001, 10:03 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: Super Chargers (gerry72)

i agree...A fiero is such a slow car...When you do step up to the vette..I think you will have to adjust to the increase in power....If not enough...Then start TWEAKING
Old 12-18-2001, 06:56 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Super Chargers (Alwyn678)

The blower your thinking of is a truck super charger and consumes a large amount of the power the engine is making. The reason they are used is they're cheap.
I think the turbos are slightly cheaper than mechanical charging but you have the exhaust plumbing
I like the centrifigual chargers. These are turbo units driven off the front of the engine like an alternater. They cost a few$$
There is also a special screw type that costs quite a bit but doesn't flail and pre-heat the air as bad as a roots type. It's also a lower profile.

Thats what is nicer about the turbo or centrifugal They don't heat the air too much.
Turbos depend on exhaust to get them going while mechanicals are driven all the time. Both would be packed out of the way.
You also have to drop your compression ratio, so your pistons.
Old 12-18-2001, 07:22 PM
dsagers
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Super Chargers (Fiero To Vette)

For the last three years I've had a Whipple system on my daily driver, not a Vette. But the Whipple is a good system, simple and price isn't too bad either.

Get notified of new replies

To Super Chargers

Quick Reply: Super Chargers