C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sears won't sell me tires Please comment

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 12:42 AM
Bill79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sears won't sell me tires Please comment

Went to sears on sat to get BFG TA Radial 245/60/15 on front and 255/60 15 on rear salesman said come back in a hour.
Came back and he said manager won’t let them put them on (said to big ) but if I bring back the wheels with out the car they could do it.
Forum members said they should fit fine.
What’s up what that.
They will fit right?
L-48
Now has BFG TA Radial 235/60/15 but they dont fill up the fender well's
Old 12-18-2001, 12:55 AM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Re: Sears won't sell me tires Please comment (Bill79)

Don't know exactly what's going on there... :confused: But if the guy doesn't want your hard earned money. Don't force him to take it. Go to another tire dealer and tell him what you want... and when you want it.
I love these retailers who complain that the economy has gone to s@#t and then they turn around and treat their customers like this. :mad
Old 12-18-2001, 01:02 AM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

I had the same problem at sears a few years ago. I wanted the cheapest tires that would fit on my trailer. The guy insisted I buy "trailer tires" ($x2). Went to Walmart and told them the price at Sears and got slightly better tires for the Sears price.
Old 12-18-2001, 01:03 AM
parttime
Instructor

you should be able to fit those tires on easily
i have 245/60's on mine

[Modified by parttime, 11:04 PM 12/17/2001]
Old 12-18-2001, 01:05 AM
MoMo
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Sears won't sell me tires Please comment (KENS78SILVERANNIV)

That's what it's coming around to. Just try and get an exhaust component installed at your typically muffler chain shop. They won't touch it if it's not original.

What you should tell them, before you take your car to another shop, is to challenge them to find you some original F70-15 Polyglass tires then. See what those smartbuttes say to you then.
What morons.
Old 12-18-2001, 01:08 AM
MoMo
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Sears won't sell me tires Please comment (MoMo)

By the way, I didn't come up with the very original "smartbutte" reference above. I guess this new software is too smart for the double dollar sign now.

And yes, 255/60R-15 will fit on all four corners. Absolutely no trouble with mine like that, other than the fact that they're not performance rated tires.
Old 12-18-2001, 01:08 AM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Order them from TireRack & save some $$$ and aggravation. I buy all my car tires that way now. Even with shipping cost, I've found that I pay up to 20% less than anywhere in my area. They come usually within 2-3 days. I take my old tires/rims to my corner gas station. They remove the old, mount & balance the new for $8 per.

Mark
Old 12-18-2001, 01:19 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Sears won't sell me tires Please comment (mdsmith)

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but SEARS SUCKS. I wouldn't buy a candy bar from them. Their competition is kicking there butt in every department for a reason. 255's may rub a little in the front as 245's may also, but all they would have to do is just advise you of that with the understanding you can't get full credit if you want to exchange and you will have to pay additional mounting fees. Again SEARS BITES.
Old 12-18-2001, 01:25 AM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

these tire stores will not put oversized or undersized tires on your car because of liability,sams club would not put the next size larger tire on my C-2500 till i showed them in the owners manual that it was listed as a optional size.
Old 12-18-2001, 01:32 AM
lou
Racer

Default Re: Sears won't sell me tires Please comment (clem zahrobsky)

Got mine from Sams, I just took the wheels down to them, they call it take out. no problems. Make sure you tell them no wieghts on the outside of the wheel. lou
Old 12-18-2001, 01:35 AM
Allan71
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Sears won't sell me tires Please comment (clem zahrobsky)

I agree with the liability issue and don't think Sears (or any tire shop in this case) can be faulted here. They are probably showing the 225/70-15 as the correct original tire, and they will usually let you go one size up from that, hence the 235. I did get some tires from Sam's from another car, and they did let me go one size up, but no bigger.
Old 12-18-2001, 01:57 AM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Sears won't sell me tires Please comment (Allan71)

Being a service writer I can tell you there are ways to cover yourself in this scenario. I've done it many times before. You simply add a line on the ticket that says "owner is aware that tire size is not recommended for vehicle" and of course whoever wants the tires mounted then signs the ticket. The only real problem I can see with 255's on the back is parking brake cable clearance, which is easliy remedied with some pull ties, i had to do this on the back of mine, 255's on the front may be more of a problem, my 245's will rub occasionally.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 12-18-2001, 02:04 AM
Sting Raycin
Drifting

Default Re: Sears won't sell me tires Please comment (Allan71)

What do you expect when you shop at a place like sears or wal-mart for tires. They might be able to beat your local tire shop on price per tire, but they will never beat the service. Does Sears offer free rotations, fix flats for free or any services like that? I don't think so, at least they don't here. Your best bet is to stick with your friendly neighborhood tire shop. You'll find them a lot more accomodating and helpful.
(And, no I don't work at or own a tire shop :D )
Old 12-18-2001, 02:08 AM
The Dude
Race Director

That dude's attepmting to cover his pooper.

You can more than likely get 265-60s all the way around. You almost definitely can go to 275-60s on the rears. Worst-case scenario there is that you might have to relocate the parking brake cable brackets.

But don't buy tires for a "special application" from a department store. Go somewhere else. Like a tire store.
Old 12-18-2001, 02:37 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Sears won't sell me tires Please comment (The Dude)

I agree with JD and The Dude. Buy tires from a tire place, not a we want every dollar thats out there store.
Old 12-18-2001, 02:41 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

I got mine cheaper by buying them at tirerack.com and having them mounted locally. I paid 64 bucks a tire and it was only 18 bucks to ship them here.

I took the wheels to the shop in my wife's Toyota 4Skin.
Old 12-18-2001, 05:44 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Sears won't sell me tires Please comment (Steve Straus)

I've been doing what mdsmith and Steve Straus have been doing ----for years now. I never found the tires I wanted in the sizes I wanted. They'd always needed to be special ordered which means you get screwed. When I was shopping around for new 16" tires for my '70, I gave the local guys another chance. I called 3 Goodyear shops. first shop said they can't get them, the second shop told me to call the High Performance shop and the last guy would order them for me only if I paid in advance and get a wheel alignment, balancing etc.....his charge was about $1,300. He was charging me only $329 a tire!!!

I go them from Dicount tire Direct for $132ea!

Get notified of new replies

To Sears won't sell me tires Please comment

Old 12-18-2001, 05:53 AM
MILO851
Instructor

Guess I should respond when shopping for tires for the 1980 I tried everywhere got the best price at SAMs Club $64 no shipping a tire they promised 1 week it took 2 so they threw in the mounting balancing lifetime rotation for free might want to check them out
:cool: Larry
Old 12-18-2001, 06:20 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Before you buy the 255/60/15's for the rear.... sometimes they fit, but sometimes they do not !!! I tried them on my 69 and (the tire shop special ordered them and said they would fit) when they put them on... They hit the E brake bracket and the mufflers. I had a friend with a very original 70 that had exactly the same thing happen. So be careful, it's a close fit at best.
Old 12-18-2001, 07:54 AM
BeachinVette
Drifting

I have 265/60/15`s on the rear and 255/60/15`s on the front of mine. They fit fine. I really need to fill more wheel well in the front so I`m considering bigger tires in the front. Not sure what will fit but will be looking into it soon. I agree with most. Go somewhere that will be more helpful, and sell you what you want. I put a huge back tire on my Harley last year and the shop said that won`t fit! I said you won`t know till you try. It fit and looked :cool: too!
Bob

Quick Reply: Sears won't sell me tires Please comment