C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard to custom door panel conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 11:18 PM
bl75vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Standard to custom door panel conversion

Has anyone ordered the carpet pieces and walnut inserts to convert to deluxe door panels? I just received mine and there is a large piece of vinyl attached to the carpet. I am assuming that the vinyl is folded under the carper strip and somehow attached to the door (glue) and then the chrome metal strip placed over the top part of the carpet strip. Can anyone provide me with their experience and tips in attaching this and the chrome and walnut insert?
Old 12-17-2001, 11:21 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: Standard to custom door panel conversion (bl75vette)

the vinal part goes on the "bottom" of the door panel. It wraps around and staples to the back of the door like the origional skin does. don't ask me why, but I glued mine, and stapled it. but like I said, wrap it around the door and staple it in the back(you'll see what Im talking about)

Daniel
Old 12-17-2001, 11:23 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: Standard to custom door panel conversion (daniel77350)

PS. for the walnut and chrome, take a peice of 2" masking tape, and put it down the middle of where the walnut insert goes, and put the walnut peice over it and "pound" on it, then when you remove the walnut peice, you'll see the indentions of where the mounting holes are at. Then drill, leaving the masking tape on to pretect the door panel. Do the same thing with the chrome strip. If you question where the take goes, but know where the peices go, just use more tape.

Hope that makes sence.

Daniel
Old 12-17-2001, 11:27 PM
bl75vette
Instructor

Default Re: Standard to custom door panel conversion (daniel77350)

Daniel
thanks for the info. Just to be certain does the vinyl go behind the carpet so you do not see any of it except on the bottom border? Can I use contact cement to fasten to door?
Old 12-17-2001, 11:40 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: Standard to custom door panel conversion (bl75vette)

actually you should see all of the vinal except the 1 or so inch portion thats stapled behind the door panel. I used that 3m adhesive stuff, it worked pretty good. anyway, the stapling of the vinal/carpet on one end, and the chrome trip on the other end will hold it down well enough unless your violent with your feet getting in and out of the car(pushing the door open from the inside with your feet). :jester

Daniel

Get notified of new replies

To Standard to custom door panel conversion

Quick Reply: Standard to custom door panel conversion