C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I tell if my front springs are worn ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 06:23 PM
redvettefreek
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I tell if my front springs are worn ?

Howdy all,
Started with the POR-15 last weekend that stuff is tuff...To get off my hands too. Anyway, I'll be putting on one of those front suspension kits (not sure if I should go with Ecklers or MAD yet) here in the next month and was wondering if I shouldn't replace the springs also. Is there anyway to tell if the orignals are worn out ? Should they be a specific length ?

Thanks all !!
Old 12-17-2001, 06:43 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How can I tell if my front springs are worn ? (redvettefreek)

You would test them by deformation I believe. If they are original, you really should just go ahead and replace them.
Old 12-17-2001, 06:45 PM
Warp70
Racer

usually you can tell by how low the front end finder wells sit in comparison to the tires. You can also press down on the front end of you car and if it springs back with little or no bouncing afterwards then you probably alright. A lot of bouncing afterwards would usually mean the springs are going or gone. The 3rd method, at least for me is my springs make a lot of noise when I pull in the driveway or cross uneven pavement. I'm sure there are more sophisticated ways, but these always work for me.
Old 12-17-2001, 07:48 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Enter a Latino Bouncing Car Contest. If you win, you need new springs. :lol:

If you are into the front suspension that deep its worth it to replace them. They really are not that expensive. Vette Brakes was running a special.

:seeya
Old 12-17-2001, 08:09 PM
Allan71
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How can I tell if my front springs are worn ? (ScubaJKD)

They don't really wear out, but they can corrode and lose some of the wire diameter and this will reduce the rate. The coils can also lose some of their original free height which will result in front end sag. The original wire diameter was about .609 inch and the free height 15.45 inches, so if you have them out you may just want to see how they measure up. If the free height is below spec, the springs must be replaced. I would also recommend Vette Brakes and would go with their 460 lb-in springs. The special they have going is a 10% discount and free shipping on anything ordered on-line before 12/31.
Old 12-18-2001, 12:46 AM
WATTAC
Racer

The correct and only way to check your springs is having them properly mounted in the car, with it correctly loaded and fueled as described in the AIM or service manual, and then measuring between the center of the lower A-arm shaft and the surface of the lower ball joint mount. Even with this there is a slight variation allowed by Chevy. No measurement can be made from any body part to check the spring/suspension height. Bouncing is done to test shock absorbers, but only indicates you have springs if the car bounces up and down. There isn't any set unloaded height for the spring because its the force it generates when it's compressed that is important. Replacements may actually be shorter than the originals, but still raise the car up. It's a bit complicated due to spring materials and several other factors. Find a good mechanic/source to discuss it with before you make any purchases.

Andy
Old 12-18-2001, 12:46 PM
Gameshow Bob
Racer

A good way to tell is if you have spring spacers installed!! Scary discovery of mine! :eek:

Get notified of new replies

To How can I tell if my front springs are worn ?

Quick Reply: How can I tell if my front springs are worn ?