C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NON-SOLVENT BASED DEGREASERs for POR15?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 04:44 PM
tom75
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NON-SOLVENT BASED DEGREASERS?

Hi all. I read on por15s website not to use solvent based degreasers when using por15. I dont want to have to buy por15s marine clean if i can buy an equivelant locally and cheaper at walmart. Are there any waterbased degreasers on the market? I test painted a rusty metal object with por15 and the por15 pealed off easily in sheets after a few weeks i used the metal ready before painting. The only thing i didnt do was use castrol super clean in stead of por15s marine clean. I think thats why it pealed off. Is castrol super clean solvent based? The ingriedients are. 2-Butoxyethanol (111-76-2), Sodium metasilicate and sodium hydroxide. Is simple green degreaser solvent based?Also, has anyone used coroless paint by the eastwood company it says theres a little less prep involved? Thanks. Tom :chevy

[Modified by tom75, 8:28 PM 12/17/2001]
Old 12-17-2001, 05:00 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: NON-SOLVENT BASED DEGREASERs for POR15? (tom75)

simple green - I am pretty sure it is not solvent based. They make it sound so biofriendly you would think you could drink it! Or at least spray it on your salad. It sure does degrease! :) MJ
Old 12-18-2001, 11:25 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: NON-SOLVENT BASED DEGREASERs for POR15? (MNJack)

Yes, but it leaves a soapy-like film that you still need to get rid of before you paint, otherwise it will fish-eye. Use naval jelly to get rid of all the rust scale, and wash it down with water then you can use Acetone to prep it for finishing.

[Modified by KenSny, 10:52 AM 12/18/2001]
Old 12-18-2001, 11:55 AM
dladd74roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Re: NON-SOLVENT BASED DEGREASERs for POR15? (KenSny)

Super Clean is not solvent based. The only thing is that after you degrease the part with Super Clean, you will need to rinse with water and allow it to dry. Then use the Metal Ready and apply POR-15. I did my windshield frame this weekend and it worked great.

dl
Old 12-18-2001, 12:00 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: NON-SOLVENT BASED DEGREASERS? (tom75)

I'ver been using orange clean made by Hillyard.
It works pretty good and you can have your hands in it all day without any burning or anything. I used to use DC-99 purple degreaser with works great but it will kill small animals. I don't think the orange is solvent based but it does leave a residue. I've had good luck with wiping the parts with laquer thinner before painting them.
The orange stuff aint cheap though - $100.00 for a five.

Get notified of new replies

To NON-SOLVENT BASED DEGREASERs for POR15?

Quick Reply: NON-SOLVENT BASED DEGREASERs for POR15?