C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine bay repair.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 04:38 PM
luvmy73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine bay repair.

I've never repaired a crack inside of the engine bay so if anyone has any advice/tips/tricks on this topic let me know. There is a 2.5inch horisontal crack right underneath where the drivers side hood hinge mounts, I know that there is alot of stress here, so I need a permanent fix if possible.

Thanks guys!

Michael.

1973 L-82 (almost done)
1969 L-46 (almost started)
Old 12-17-2001, 04:47 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Default Re: Engine bay repair. (luvmy73)

My car had been wrecked by the previous owner, and it took a pretty hard lick. It broke the top of the cowl off which hold the pass side hood latch. It broke a section about 20 inches long. I cleaned the area real good with laquer thinner then degreaser and sanded it down to get rid of remaining paint and dirt. Then I used air to blow all that crap out of there and then degreased it again. I applied a heavy layer of resin with a paint brush to all sides that need attached, and the front and back. Then I added fiberglass matt soaked in resin on the broken and craked areas. I overlaped then by about 6 to 8 inches on each side of the cracks. When it hardened I grabed it and tried to break it off I was shaking the poopie out of the car. It did not budge.
Hope this helps
Bob
Old 12-17-2001, 07:45 PM
JerryM
Racer

Similar Problem drivers footwell of my 75, Ground and sanded, then applied Vette bond, sanded then applied several layers of glas & resin.

Hope this helps

[Modified by JerryM, 5:46 PM 12/17/2001]
Old 12-17-2001, 07:46 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

I have a crack in the sam eplace on my 72. I just noticed it but I didn't know if it was there before I put the car up on jack stands 1.5 years ago?
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Engine bay repair.

Quick Reply: Engine bay repair.