C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Break-In ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 12:41 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Break-In ?

I am not far from breaking in my new 383 and wanted some advise from you guys. Engine has a COMP Roller cam. Questions ?

With a H. roller cam do I still need to break the engine in like it was not a roller. ie 20 minutes 2000 rpms ?

Should I keep the motor below a certain RPM for so many miles ?

What engine oil would you recommend for break in ?

How long before I should switch to synthetic ?

Motor Specs are on my website for review.

Any other tips would be appreciated. Builder gave some good advise but I wanted to hear from you guys with more experience at this than I have.

:seeya
Old 12-17-2001, 03:08 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: Engine Break-In ? (ScubaJKD)

I just put in my 383 the end of april. I went solid roller and like your H-roller it doesn't require any cam breakin.
I checked everything two or more times and had everything set before i even tried to fire it. Don't take the chance of having timing way off on a fresh engine fire up.

I did my best guess jetting and on the rich side for cooler running. I turned up the idle screws to where it had 1500 when I first fired it. I had 5w30 regular oil.

I ran it with a 195 thermostat to get temp up fast and checked the timing - which was spot on and with a vacuum gauge set the four corner idle cuircuts. It got upto temp and I let it run for 10 minutes or so. I did a heat and cooling cycle 2 times and checked everything for leaks. I have a studded motor so I rechecked head studs for torque and valve adjustment.

Check all the intake and header studs. Then the first 30 miles never lug your motor and keep below say 3000 rpm. I changed my oil and filter again with 5W30 Penzoil. I decided the best way to get over 500 miles was take a long freeway trip still keeping it not much over 3500 or half of your redline. I again changed the oil and filter at that point to mobil 1 10-40 Depending on your ring type is how fast they breakin. My motor didn't actualy free up till about 1000 or so miles. After 500 miles I started running it up to 6500, but never banging the gears with WOT shifts.

I had the first 1000+ miles on in a three day weekend because I drove somewhere that was 450 miles away. So I put on 9000+ miles this past summer with 7500 rpm shifting and the oil stays clean and it purrs like a kitten......

Yes - I was worried about everthing before and durring startup. Every little noise I thought about did I have it clean enough or did I set the clearances right. Even Monty was worried before the dyno runs.

[Modified by gkull, 5:31 PM 12/17/2001]
Old 12-17-2001, 03:09 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Engine Break-In ? (gkull)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=199439

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Break-In ?

Quick Reply: Engine Break-In ?